ALO Vampire Dock!!
Jan 8, 2007 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Morph201

Headphoneus Supremus
I already posted my 'take' on this cable on the feedback forums, but I just have to say it again!! This was a much needed upgrade! I am NOW a BELIEVER... CABLES DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE and this is NOT a placebo effect!!

I received my Vampire Dock from Ken and this thing is awesome, I already noticed sounds that weren't appearent to me before, and it hasn't even broken in yet!

Any other Vampire Dock users care to share their experiences??

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 8
I don't think that you will find many (if any at all) that don't believe a line out cable will make a difference. Where most differ is on whether or not different types of wires and varying amounts of wire impact the sound.

If you were previously using a mini to mini then you should definately experience a difference when switching to a line-out to mini wire, regardless if the new LOD is ten dollards or one hundred.

FTR, I have a cryo LOD

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 8
I have to say I was underwhelmed after receiving mine and listening to the first few songs. When I would switch back to the headphone out on the 5G ipod, it didn't seem it was drastically different.

But as I have listened longer, to a wider variety of music, controlling for more variablesand done more A/B swapping, the distinctions are becoming clearer and clearer. I also hear a distinct richness that wasn't there before, on tracks that are of a high quality. Poorer quality recordings sound better, but you hear the flaws more clearly too.

Primarily, here's the difference for me:
Much "cleaner" sound.
More robust/fuller/plump sound than the head' out.

I have some pink noise scheduled for the whole system tonight to see if that helps. Neither my headphones nor my amp have enough burn-in.

While acknowledging that the sound is not yet "$80 better" I am happy with my purchase and would NOT have been able to sleep well without knowing how much difference an amp and good lineout make.

For now, I am enjoying the set-up I have. I would give the iPod 75 percent of the SQ credit, my current amp 15 percent, and the Vampire 10 percent. Just one man's opinion. Expect a Hornet M to join the stable alongside the MisterX XP around Father's Day. But the XP is a keeper, too.

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why didn't you get that mini cryo dock instead?

That's a good question... It was the one Ken referred me to. I'm not sure how much better the mini-cryo would sound, but so far I am pleased with me purchase.
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:02 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which cable/dock were you using before?

I had a Maxell dockstation with a mini connected to the lineout and the amp.. I was using the lineout already, but for whatever reason, the sound is a bit crisper with the vampire dock.. Now going from that to a $150+ cryo, not sure if the difference would be that noticeable... this should keep me content in the portable world (yeah, right!).. now to start with a decem "home" system.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why didn't you get that mini cryo dock instead?

You didn't ask me but it may useful to compare "buying rationales" here.

I asked Ken for his recommendation for the lowest priced LOD to pair with my Grado SR225s/iPod 5G video/MisterX XP. I told him it was my first LOD, and I didn't want to break the budget, and he recommended I step up to Vampire instead of copper.

I have to say it is a beautifully matched LOD to my black 5g. Maximum style points there. The sweet sound of the whole unit is revealing itself as I listen more and more. Now if I can just hold off a few months before buying a second amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back