ALO The Island USB DAC!
Aug 29, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #76 of 78
The Island is notorious for having problems drivers under win8/win10 ? After creators update the drivers are integrated into windows (plug and play),
but I am not sure if it is the drivers that still don't work for me or the unit itself is broken.

At random times it goes almost totally silent. Regular input has some sound but it is quiet and full of noise. Seems like the amplification fails or smth.
And some time it klicks/pops and the sound is back to normal.
The unit is 24/7 drawing power from USB and runs pretty hot (not burning tho).

Anyone else experiencing something similar ?

Aug 29, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #77 of 78
Mine has been working with no issues on multiple Windows 10 systems since the Windows 10 Creators Update (1703) when they released native USB2 audio drivers. No audio dropouts or any other anomalies. Since it's Windows, you obviously can't completely rule out driver problems, but it sounds like it might be a hardware issue to me.

Mine does run warm to the touch, but never gets "hot" either.

Oct 18, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #78 of 78
Still using mine. Found this adapter to improve compatibility, now can use all my 2.5mm cables with it.

Balanced output on this baby is very powerful, but pitch black. Still compares very well vs. modern dac/amps. Wheel is very enjoyable to use.

Have it setup as the primary source at work desk. Drivers fully support Win 10 as well.

20200921_181044.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back