ALO Jumbo Cryo Dock vs. Sarn Industries Agcrystal
Jan 30, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This place is getting to be a hang out for a bunch of prima donas and self righteous buffoons! The OP (Luckyleo) bought a product w/ his money and he liked what he heard and posted so here.

Out come two members telling him it is an advertisement and trying to elicit a nasty response. Luckily the OP (Luckyleo - pun intended) was smart and responded in a very polite way defusing the situation. However the same two individuals continued w/ their implications and attack.

Luckyleo, good for you if you like what you hear.
icon10.gif
None of us know what it is because we are not you.
wink.gif
Hope your new toy brings you many hours of enjoyment.

2XX

Jan 30, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Qusp,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately I'm like a duck out of water when it comes to reviewing. My contributions to head-fi tend to run along the lines of "x2!" or "hope you enjoy your purchase", or "defending ones' right to their opinions". As it stands, I wish I could provide more info. I think that my main point and hope for discussion was that I was surprised that a change in LOD made a significant change in my listening experience. I would have thought that it would have been virtually non-existent. I've read others who claim that LOD's are a waste of money. I guess the take away from the write-up is that at least to my ears there are noticeable differences between LOD's and interested people should explore this area when determining the best way to upgrade their rigs.

As time goes on perhaps I'll feel more comfortable in the reviewer's role.

Leo

fair enough mate; I wasnt accusing you of being a shill, just thought it could use a bit more content so as to come off sounding a little less like an ad, you didnt need to explain yourself to me, but I do understand where you are coming from. I myself am not fantastic at reviewing either; so thumbs up for giving it a try. i'm happy that you are happy with your new LOD. your main point now that you have explained it to me, is valid indeed IMO, sometimes people seem to be professional skeptics around here. I wasnt saying it WAS AN AD, I was saying that I thought it certainly sounded like an ad, then I gave what I thought was good advice to stop it sounding that way.

As for the rest of you; jebus get a bloody grip will you. I was not baiting and I actually thought it was good advice. any post that launches straight into praise and with a link to the manufacturers website is going to sound like an add. I'm also not doubting the quality of the product, the moulding on the IEM cable is very cool; i'm in the process of trying out something like that myself; hopefully I can get a result like that, so props for that.

as for the fanboy comment what a joke, only brand names I have are in my amps and headphones and I dont own 2 of any brand and not one ALO or RSA item in there; they are the fanboys around here IMO. everything else in my rig I made myself out of the best materials I could find, sure I use jena wire fairly extensively, but my silver is no name, (apart from the piccolino) I use connectors that I think best for the situation and dont have any real loyalty to any, bar eichmann because they are made in my town and they are great connectors. i'm in the middle of trailing a wire that I dont even know the name of and I certainly havent seen it around here. at least i'm not a hypocrite who denounces expensive shiny wires and hype, but uses that same hype and shiny stuff to sell cables elsewhere

so perhaps it is you guys who need to actually think about what you say. certainly sounded like baiting to me.

Quote:

However the same two individuals continued w/ their implications and attack

What I made one 1 line post that was far from an attack; if you were not talking about me then I apologize, if you were
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #20 of 25
happy to, I just HATE being accused of something false based on false assumptions and ********

Jan 31, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #21 of 25
I'll try taking this thread in a direction that is related back to the OP. What is "vertical" and "horizontal" soundstage? Are you saying that in addition to sensing a physical separation between the instruments, you can also get a sense of instruments at different heights? Wow. I have to be honest, I've never even considered that aspect to recorded music, much less actually heard it.

OK, I'm really NOT trying to be a smarta$$ - I'm serious - the technical side of me is trying to figure out what in 6 inches of cable would cause there to be a difference in that sort of sound characteristic. If I assume that an "ideal" cable is a theoretical connection that would allow perfect reproduction of the signals from the ipod dock connector to the amp, and that any "real" cable is applying some coloration to that signal, what would cause a high quality silver cable and a high quality copper cable to affect the soundstage differently? Would it be related to some sort of high-frequency coloration or a difference in channel separation/crosstalk? I'm an engineer, but I'm not an electronics or audio engineer - and I'm curious how this works...

Again - I'm not trying to be judgmental or a doubter - I'm genuinely trying to understand what the OP is hearing from a technical perspective.

Jan 31, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #22 of 25
The room where the music is coming from seems larger. If you listen to different headphones you will see the difference with different designs.

If you want the quickest and most direct example, try the same song (or a binural, that would be better) on some full sized cans and the same song with some IEMs.

But yea, to the OP, when you are posting a review... try to be a little more in-depth.

But it was good none the less.

Jan 31, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #23 of 25
billybob_jcv with some gear and music combinations you can hear music in front or behind as well as to your left or to your right. Just as the four previous locations you can hear some of the instruments above or below you, the shift is usually minor but noticeable.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #24 of 25
I didn't mean to create such an outcry. However, for quite sometime I've been able to hear soundstage as a left to right (or right to left) sensation. Additionally, if you listen closely you can determine a vertical (up/down) sound stage as well. For example, I found that the vertical soundstage with the RSA Tomahawk was much more narrow than the Pico or RSA 71a. Again, I don't hear this 100% of the time, but I do it hear 100% of the time when I'm listening in a dedicated environment.

Coming back to the original post, I don't know why I can discern differences between different types of cables, but I do. You can doubt this, but to my ears there are rather noticable differences. Maybe some of the manufacturers can help explain the process from a technical perspective, as I cannot, but again I can hear the differences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll try taking this thread in a direction that is related back to the OP. What is "vertical" and "horizontal" soundstage? Are you saying that in addition to sensing a physical separation between the instruments, you can also get a sense of instruments at different heights? Wow. I have to be honest, I've never even considered that aspect to recorded music, much less actually heard it.

OK, I'm really NOT trying to be a smarta$$ - I'm serious - the technical side of me is trying to figure out what in 6 inches of cable would cause there to be a difference in that sort of sound characteristic. If I assume that an "ideal" cable is a theoretical connection that would allow perfect reproduction of the signals from the ipod dock connector to the amp, and that any "real" cable is applying some coloration to that signal, what would cause a high quality silver cable and a high quality copper cable to affect the soundstage differently? Would it be related to some sort of high-frequency coloration or a difference in channel separation/crosstalk? I'm an engineer, but I'm not an electronics or audio engineer - and I'm curious how this works...

Again - I'm not trying to be judgmental or a doubter - I'm genuinely trying to understand what the OP is hearing from a technical perspective.

Jan 31, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe Sarn Industries owned by Germania? I'm looking at same cable.

Yes, it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back