ALO Cryo dock vs Copper dock : outdoor use
Dec 17, 2006 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nico_g

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I would like to buy an ALO dock connector for my Tomahawk amp.
What is the best model for for outdoor use, between copper and cryo, in terms of durability and sound quality ?
The cryo is probably a little bit better sounding, but more precisely on what particular point ?
And is it worth the big price difference : $98 against $60 ?
Thanks for all your advices.

Dec 18, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 13
Cryo is made of copper - just treated with cryo to "improve" the sound. I love mine, and is very pretty. With the solid cable cover, I would think these would do better than the cotton or silk silver cabled ALOs for outdoor use.

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 13
but has there ever been a case where the solid copper or silver wires broke? i mean they are sealed in teflon tubes...

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #6 of 13
I've been waiting for someone to review these, soundwise.
frown.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but has there ever been a case where the solid copper or silver wires broke? i mean they are sealed in teflon tubes...

I think Ken mentioned one of his customers trying to bend a silver dock into their pocket and it broke.

Dec 18, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Ken mentioned one of his customers trying to bend a silver dock into their pocket and it broke.

Yeah I had one customer who had bought a silk dock and admitted to putting it in his pocket bent 180 degrees over and over again. He sent it to me and sure enough the wire snapped. He was unaware of the nature of a solid silver wire and we sent him a new one with a slap on the wrist. Thats when we started putting the warning on our fliers that go out with the cables. However I think the warning is now a bit overblown as you really have to work at breaking a solid silver wire. We have only had 2 cables come back with a broken wire and we have sold I dont know a bunch.

Thx

Kb

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Dec 19, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbeze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no copper breaking though?, i just got mine in the mail today!

Those are like 16 guage in total.. not going to break. A user I am not going to mention tried to lift weights with his silver six..and he would frequently bite on the lod because he would try to tie his shoe standing up, and neither the plug on amp nor the plug on the ipod ever budged. Pretty durable stuff...

By the way what about cryogenic treatment of silver wire?

Dec 22, 2006 at 8:51 AM Post #12 of 13
I have just gotten the newer Jumbo Cryo Dock from Ken... I't a wonderful cable: wonderful sound, top notch quality, and it's built like a tank, recommended.
600smile.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I had one customer who had bought a silk dock and admitted to putting it in his pocket bent 180 degrees over and over again. He sent it to me and sure enough the wire snapped. He was unaware of the nature of a solid silver wire and we sent him a new one with a slap on the wrist. Thats when we started putting the warning on our fliers that go out with the cables. However I think the warning is now a bit overblown as you really have to work at breaking a solid silver wire. We have only had 2 cables come back with a broken wire and we have sold I dont know a bunch.

Thx

Kb

Hi, so the silver solid core wires are not easily broken as people suggest unless bent to the extreme?

Looking at the pictures from the ALO website, the ipod cable seems to be bent quite a bit!

http://www.aloaudio.com/blingsilver4.jpg

Does it have something to do with ALO using 22awg vs others? (I always thought a higher awg would be less prone to breakage because it is thinner?)

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back