ALO Campfire Audio Nova or Orion vs Noble Trident
Aug 5, 2017 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stoobot

100+ Head-Fier
I'll get straight to it; I've seen reviews of these IEMs - which make them all appeal to me - but I haven't come across anyone who has tried all three, or compared them. I'd love to know if there are any strengths or weaknesses across the three that jump out.

I listen to a pretty wide variety of music from fairly technical metal through to solo piano and string quartets, not to mention a fair amount of indie rock and stuff where the vocals are the main focus. At the moment I'm mostly listening though some old very well used B&W P5s, and some Shure SE215SPE IEMs. The problem i have with the 215s is that the bass (especially the sub) is a bit too artificial and 'added' for my liking - to my ears it makes the soundstage seem a little muddied, and after about 1hr-1.5hrs or so of listening, my ears are getting fatigued.

The reason i'm interested in the CA Novas, Orions and the Noble Trident is that reviews suggest that they all have quite a 'true' sound, with a little warmth. They seem to roll off just a pinch on the treble, and be quite friendly for long periods of listening, as well as having a soundstage which seems like it would be a bit more 'spacious' than the 215s.

I'm using an AK Jr at the moment (no amp), possibly going to move up to the AK100ii at some point, although might end up with something different once i've done some auditioning.

Any feedback would be fantastic!

Aug 5, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Just curious how you feel about the treble on your SE215s? Some people have a difficult time managing with it. Just curious how it was for you.

I can't say the treble has bothered me really, or at least not to a point where I've noticed it in the same way as the bass. I'm pretty sure that when I decide on a new set of IEMs, the 215s will still get some use. I feel like I've just become overly aware that they have their own sound (rather than just tuning), and I'm craving something more natural sounding.

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Gotcha. I haven't heard the Noble but I do have experience with the Nova and Orion. To me, the Nova is more detailed and transparent and has a wider stage. Mids are beautiful on both. The Nova are fast, neutral, and natural sounding. Maybe organic is a good word for it. Orion bass to mids are fairly linear while treble is slightly rolled off, leading to no sibilance or harshness. The stage is more intimate. Bass is tight and full and very solid for a single BA unit. Mids are forward with body and texture. Separation is very good. Things sound relatively balanced but the mids are the star here. Overall, the Nova is the more balanced of the two. Some thoughts but of course YMMV and this is just my take.

Aug 5, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 7
I agree with serman on the Nova's, though I have no heard the others his description matches what I feel comparing to all the iems I have.

I am actually about to post up a pair of Nova's for sale in the classifieds if you are interested. Just orderd some CIEM's time to pair down my collection.

Aug 7, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #6 of 7
Excellent!.

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the Novas are worth a shot for me then! Balanced and natural is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Novas for sale

Let me know if you're interested in selling your pair. Had a look in the classifieds, but couldn't spot them!

Aug 7, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the Novas are worth a shot for me then! Balanced and natural is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Let me know if you're interested in selling your pair. Had a look in the classifieds, but couldn't spot them!

Hey! I have to wait 30 days to list on the classified. So I ended up posting them on ebay.

Just search Campfire Nova and you will see them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back