ALO audio V-cap
Nov 24, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #17 of 23
the hammond case that ALO use for the PVCAP is of the same line as the one i'm using. there is no way they would be using .68uf caps in there the rolloff would be horrendous unless they used several in parallel; which of course would take up even more space. the 2.2,3.3,4.7 vcaps are all the same size pretty much. and the only difference between the Pvcap case and the one i'm using is mine is longer I got a longer one because I wanted to be able to add some TFTF vcaps later as a bypass to add a touch more sparkle in the HF, the height and width of the 2 hammonds are exactly the same. you have to take to the inside of the case with a grinder to fit the VCAPs in but they will fit. sometimes they will fit straight off as the tolerance in manufacture means that some are slightly smaller and some are slightly larger

Nov 24, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #18 of 23
Nov 24, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #19 of 23
i'm talking about the same vcaps these are mine
VCAPpic.jpg
this is the 3.3 uf and it fits in the same hammond case but in the longer model.
I repeat .68uf would cause soooo much bass rolloff its not funny; by my calculation bass roll-off would start at 46.81027743hz which is totally unacceptable, I think you would agree
eek.gif
. There are only one brand of vcaps but 2 types; there are OIMP vcaps like mine and the ones ALO use and the uber expensive TFTF caps that i'm getting to use as a bypass later on. Also, I said the same size Pretty much: 2uf = .67 X 1.7, 2.7uf = .75 X 1.7, 3.3uf = 1.0 X 1.7 , 4.7uf 1.0 X 1.7 notice the last 2 are exactly the same size. and they are the most commonly used for this purpose.....they will/DO fit in the hammond case in fact they as of a few minutes ago DO fit in MY hammond case
biggrin.gif
Which is the same as ALO PVCAP case except its the longer version. Not taller, not wider, but longer/deeper.

edit: I just realized whats going on. you are looking at the wrong VCAPs you are looking at the TFTF vcaps they do not use the TFTF vcaps in the PVCAP dock; they use the OIMP vcaps. They dont even make a .68uf OIMP vcap. Have you looked at the pricing on the vcaps you linked to?? do you really think ALO would give you 2 TFTF vcaps for even the price they charge when they cost 229each and 160 each if you buy 2?? i'm sure you could ask ALO to put a TFTF vcap in, but they would be likely to charge you well over $1000 because in the values you would need ie: at least 2uf x 2 = $650 but really you would need the 3.3 at $978 for 2. Sorry to disappoint you, but I dont think you have a teflon vcap dock, unless you blew at least $1500 on it, knowing the way they charge. Also it wouldn't have come in the standard PVCAP case, because you are right they wouldn't fit ;p

it doesn't matter though; the OIMP VCAPs sound fantastic, as you already know. Not even darkopi was crazy enough to use high value TFTF vcaps in his dock and thats saying something. IMO a portable source doesn't justify that sort of cap or the expense associated with it. Plus they are so large as to be stupid in those values too. the only way they are used to effect is as a bypass cap in smaller values like .47uf. which is what i'm doing as soon as my wallet recovers
tongue.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #20 of 23
Ok Gusp,
you have right.
I just use normal Pvcap and a home made dock with Mundorf suprem Sylver oil.

Nov 24, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #21 of 23
biggrin.gif
cool what do the mundorfs sound like??? I have been toying with using the silver/gold/oil caps in a dock as well. I really like the mundorf silver/gold wire SQ so I wonder how the caps sound. I know RWA use mundorf in their amps and I really like their amps. normally I would agree with the statement that less of a good thing is better than more of a bad thing. but when it comes to caps there are certain laws of science that apply. if you were to use anything below 2uf with a 50k pot it would start to sound like crap, there would be no bass. what FQ did pass would sound great but thats really not very much use IMO.

and why is it that people keep calling me GUSP what is that??
biggrin.gif
thats not a name or anything is it??? neither is QUSP which is my name, but it is a play on the word cusp as in the beginning or edge of things to come.

please everyone stop calling me GUSP its starting to drive me crazy; nothing towards you rico but its just you aren't the only one and its really starting to get to me. it says qusp right there in my box
confused.gif
confused.gif

Nov 24, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #22 of 23
i think is an Azerty / qwerty Problem .
gusp is more natural than qusp on an azerty.
but i'll i try on an azerty (even if the difficulty is high)

QUSP .
great result.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #23 of 23
thankyou I feel much better now; but thats just you; tis happens to me almost daily, but now I know what causes it; perhaps it wont be quite so frustrating
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back