ALO Alternatives?
Apr 12, 2007 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Biff Wellington

New Head-Fier
Now that I'm in the swing of things, I need to stay on track, so I wanted to ask about cables to go between my Imod and my soon to be received Hornet "M." There seems to be a lot of praise here for ALO cables (specifically the Cryo Mini to Mini, in my case).

I'm not much of a DIYer, so I was curious as to whether there is anyone who recommends something other than ALO or if the consensus is that if I'm going to go big time, ALO is the way to go.

I (along with the Visa people) thank you in advance.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 17
I would highly recommend ALO.

I have tried the turbo cable, well made, but wires are thin and sound is just okay.
I also have the cardas interconnect from headroom, it is better than the turbo cable, but far from the best.
I have the RnB Audio Black Diamond interconnect, which is very well made and sounds very good.

But I keep going back to ALO, they are more expensive but the sound is clean and detailed.

Apr 12, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 17
I have had great success with Turbo's products. They are well made and have provided clear and detailed sound btwn my Heed and Microdac and they are priced with a conscience.

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy2001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would highly recommend ALO.
I have tried the turbo cable, well made, but wires are thin and sound is just okay.
I also have the cardas interconnect from headroom, it is better than the turbo cable, but far from the best.

I have an original Turbo cable and I think it sounds great, I also have the Cardas mini and I definitely prefer the Turbo cable.

Apr 12, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #8 of 17
I'll second [AK]Zip, just ordered an iPod LOD, and he's been extremely helpful through all my questions and inquiries. Highly recommended.

Apr 12, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 17
qables makes 'em too

Apr 13, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #14 of 17
yeah, i dont diy all that often anymore. my DIY gears are in the closet, happily collecting dust. should be out in a few weeks to recable some of my headphones.. but meanwhile, they can just rest, in peace..

i used to make cables/recables but well, it is not that fun anymore. i was doing it more for fun than money. actually, i didnt even make too much money in doing so.. i used to charge them about the cost that they would incur if they DIY by themselves. i used to get the bulk discount myself and use that to work on something else that i had interest in. and now, i dont have too much interest in any.. plus, the mods seem not liking me selling things in forum without going thru mallfi or MOT, which im not too interested in doing so since i dont make same things all the time.. (my FS threads had been deleted a few times and well, i understand them. i probably had violated some rules. i should respect that if i want to hang around with you guys :p) in addition, i dont have too much time for DIY these days anyways..

hga silver wires are good, too, if you are interested in making one with them. they are a bit lean but very good in analyzing the SOUND. might want to add some copper in them if you want some more volume to it.. their copper wires are pretty good, too. above average i would say..

DIY ones those are made with canare, mogami, and typical spc would be okay. they are fun and strong sounding but slightly lacks the refinement in sound.

cardas wires are also good, better than typical copper wires. they are smooth and laid back. i find them good with grados, cuts the treble harshness and make the sound overall more balanced. these arent as bassy as other copper wires, at least to me.

i used to work with these so.. i thought i would post this, in case any of you are interested in buying DIY cables, those pop on FS forum time to time..

retailers' wires, ill tell you if you pm me, of course, of only those ones that i had. i dont want to be pushing/bashing them publicly :p

sorry about a disorganized post.. i was just typing dadadadaadada as usual :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back