Almost Done with my Cmoy
Dec 14, 2009 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

igotyofire

100+ Head-Fier
and it wont be tested until the final stage as i do not have alligator clips as shown in the tutorial. This is my first time ever really soldering and i know i need to re go over some of the joints. I think when i first started i was using the wrong type of solder that came with the cheap iron from walmart. Now i am using a weller station with rosin core. Due to some confusion i also had to offset the ground side a bit since i didn't offset the side jumpers properly. Just figured out how to wire the input output jackets by toning with the ohm meter so that will be the next thing I connect. Im guessing some of you may look at the soldering and predict that its not going to work? ....eh open to any critiques

2yzhf0h.jpg

2dtubh3.jpg

Dec 14, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 12
A lot of those joints look "cold". You can tell because they aren't shiny like the others. It makes bad contact and the amp may not work or you may get a lot of hum, interference, etc. It happens when something in the joint moves while it's cooling. Try re-flowing any cold joints.

What kind of solder are you using? Eutectic solder like 63/37 can help prevent this, although it's certainly possible to use regular 60/40 without making cold joints. The layout and connections look good though.

Dec 15, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of those joints look "cold". You can tell because they aren't shiny like the others. It makes bad contact and the amp may not work or you may get a lot of hum, interference, etc. It happens when something in the joint moves while it's cooling. Try re-flowing any cold joints.

What kind of solder are you using? Eutectic solder like 63/37 can help prevent this, although it's certainly possible to use regular 60/40 without making cold joints. The layout and connections look good though.

just found out my solder is lead free , craftsman solder that i found at sears. that explains why the iron set to max temp has such a tough time melting it. I dont want to do the volume control pins since they are so close together until i get some better flowing solder. hopefully i can pick somthing up at radio shack that flows better.

I also assume i want a solder that comes very thin?

I tested everything and just ran the wires thru the pins on the audio jacks on the input side and works! im glad it worked the first time upon completion, hopefully it will still work when i get the volume pot done. Only problem i had other then my layout issue was the red capacitors are too big to work the way i mounted them with the serpac case So i have switched to a Tupperware case

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozshadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And get some brush on flux.

what for?

So picked up some 63/37 solder and it works way better! thanks for the advice

anyhow here is the ugly, very first build of mine....last minute case, heh. It doesn't sound better then my Bravo audio tube amp, but id say it sounds pretty good and gives me plenty of extra volume. Im definately going to build another in the future. this one looks so tacky , but not sure how much better i can do, maybe if i plan a lil bit more ahead. & behold.......

nw9qg.jpg

abmiaw.jpg

348si7p.jpg

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 12
Also does anyone know the proper way to remove the op amp? I removed mine after a test & bent all the pins on the way out. Had to bend them back to get it to fit. I need some sort of tweezer that can reach on both sides and clamp under neath so that i dont pull up all from one side.

also want to know how to add a 2nd battery so they work parallel together and not independent of each other.

Dec 16, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #10 of 12
I just take a pair of electronics tweezers, slide one side under the chip in its socket, and work it back and forth till it comes out. FWIW I've used fingers many times, and sometimes ended up with eight tiny bleeding piercings on my fingers. Use tools when possible.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #11 of 12
Juaquin, I've poked myself many times with those DIP8 pins... a tiny "L" shaped allen wrench will slip under the opamp and you can pry up from one side then the other until it pops out...

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Flux helps the solder flow. It will help to reflow joints, or just get them right to begin with. It will cook off and may need to be re-applied. It needs to be cleaned off once you are done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back