Allround (stereo?) headphone for mainly home-cinema, and also pc/keyboard/smartphone PLEASE help
May 28, 2013 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JP2206

New Head-Fier
Hi all, this is my first post, pardon my English (I'm from the Netherlands).

I use the Sony MDR DS6500 now for a week. I discovered a couple of things I now hate about 'wireless headphones'.

Let me tell you about my situation;
All of my devices are connected by HDMI-out to HDMI-in on my Onkyo SR605 receiver. Therefor all my video outputs 1080p and uncompressed lossless audio straight into the receiver. 

• even if my Onkyo SR605 did had a optical-out (which it doesn't), I (think) it wouldn't be able to output audio to the optical-in on the Sony.
    As far I know, HDMI in > to optical-out doesn't work. If anyone bag the difference, please tell me!
    * even if it works: hdmi can handle all formats (including 7.1) - optical/spdif will always downscale it because it can't handle formats > 5.1 DD.
  • Conncecting the Sony set to a keyboard * (line out > line in Sony) => there's is a delay about 200ms.
    So every key I touch will sound later in my ears. That is the reason I will send it back.
  • Due to point 1. I tried to attacted the Sony's set directly on the optical-out on my devices (like a mediaplayer). Optical-out > Optical-in sounds better. But then again: if you play (for example) a 7.1 MA it will downscale the signal to max. DD 5.1. 
    To be clear: I'm completly frustrated by the fact, no manufactur build a HDMI Wireless headphone!!!
    You ALWAYS make an offer by outputting audio-signals higher dan DD 5.1. I really hate it.
  • Directly attached to device also means: you always have to switch the optical cable between tv-receiver, mediaplayer, ps3 etcetera.
    Very annoying carrying the thing arround between pc, mediaplayer, tv, ps3.

Because you cannot attached a cable directly in the headphone (for direct output *), I now consider to replace them for a stereo-headphone (analog). Wireless gives me to much (connection) limitations.

Can anyone help me with a couple of questions? I did my research and doubting between the;
- Audio Technica ATH-M50
- Beyerdynamics DT770 PRO
- V-Moda Crossfade M100
- Sennheiser RS180 or RS220

I want to use it on my keyboard (6.3 jack), pc (3.5) and my Onkyo home-cinema receiver:
I don't want to use the front PHONO output jack. If I do, it disables the speakers and that's not what I want.
On the back of the Onkyo SR605, there are 2 analog outputs:
REC-OUT
ZONE2-out (to switch sources that are analog connected).

Can I use one of these? I don't like to buy another headphone-amp (i think Zone2 needs that?).

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions will be highly appreciated! Thanks.

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #2 of 3
Wow... 24 views and nobody out there in to help me out? 
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back