Allow me to introduce myself
Jul 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #16 of 35
Welcome to the forum! As a recent MAC switcher (still have a few PC's up and running), I'd recommend that you use Max to transcode your FLAC's to ALAC's and use iTunes as a player on your MAC. I've done it and it was easy. Max retains all of the metadata. I still use FLAC while infront of a PC (which means that I have duplicates of my music library). Out of all the different music players for Mac, iTunes is the best IMHO. You could later on expand your iMac/iTunes setup with some AirportExpress and have your music wirelessly streamed to another room and set of speakers (remotely controlled by a iPhone or a iPod Touch). Once you're in the hands of Apple there's no way back
tongue.gif

I'd also recommend that you find some sort of tabletop monitor stands (or plinths) for your speakers so that you get rid of any nasty reflections caused by your desktop. You will notice the difference in sound quality
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #17 of 35
i use XLD to rip cds onto my mac. it's pretty damn lightweight, and way better than the itunes stock ripper.

and welcome to headfi! i'm pretty new too, and this is such a wonderful place to dream about spending lots of money.

Jul 22, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #18 of 35
Hi Raul,
Big welcome :wink:
As for Flacs and I would strongly recommend Songbird player. It's looks almost as iTunes, but it plays flacs and it saves you conversation time ( .flac > .mp3)
Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #19 of 35
Any way, I hope to learn from here, and if you guys have any tips on how should I spend my money wisely, let me know!

If you want to spend your money wisely then turn off your computer and never come back! HAHA

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raul Montana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm an I.T. person and pro photographer and I love music.

I've been lurking this forum lately and decided to join because I've learned a lot so far, and I want to learn MORE!

with a bose triport headphone (please don't kill me), I've been reading a lot here and my grado sr60 are on the way so please spare my life
atsmile.gif

I know very little about audio so I started with those speakers... I bought the iMac because of my photography and what not (i'm a pc user though!)

I used to ONLY listen to FLAC on my PC using Foobar2000 or Amarok on my Ubuntu laptop plus some tweaks and I love it, I can listen to FLAC on my MAC but it's such a hassle (because I don't know any better). So I converted my favorite artists to mp3 320
frown.gif

Any way, I hope to learn from here, and if you guys have any tips on how should I spend my money wisely, let me know!
beerchug.gif

Here's some of the sites that you can find out more about moi.

raulmontana’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm
http://rmpaparazzi.com/
raulmontana on deviantART
Raul Montana (raulmontana) on Twitter

Happy Saturday Night everyone!
beerchug.gif

I too am a hardcore Mac user. Get this program called XLD which stands for X Lossless Decoder. It is free and for Mac OSX. I used it to convert all my CDs and Flac files to Apple Lossless. It does it fast. I can't bring myself to convert anything to MP3 - I feel like I'm missing out on too much good quality.

http://tmkk.hp.infoseek.co.jp/xld/xl...090320.tar.bz2

And congratulations on joining two great cult-like followings!

1st, the Mac - Once you go Mac, you never go back. Because you realize how shi-ty Windows really is.
2nd, Grado is an experience in itself. It's re-discovering you entire music collection

Jul 28, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

I'm an I.T. person and pro photographer and I love music.

I've been lurking this forum lately and decided to join because I've learned a lot so far, and I want to learn MORE!

Here's my setup -
2zh0a52.jpg

Yay~~, someone with the same speakers as me (sort of)!
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

I appreciate all the tips
wink_face.gif
wink_face.gif

My grados just came in as I type this, I'm listening to Esperanza Spalding - Ponta de Areia.... And here's what I think of the Grados....

11bsuis.jpg

I think you'll fit right in. Welcome. Have you heard a tube amp?
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #29 of 35
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back