Allow me to introduce myself
Jul 19, 2009 at 1:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Raul Montana

New Head-Fier
I'm an I.T. person and pro photographer and I love music.

I've been lurking this forum lately and decided to join because I've learned a lot so far, and I want to learn MORE!

Here's my setup -
2zh0a52.jpg

with a bose triport headphone (please don't kill me), I've been reading a lot here and my grado sr60 are on the way so please spare my life
atsmile.gif

I know very little about audio so I started with those speakers... I bought the iMac because of my photography and what not (i'm a pc user though!)

I used to ONLY listen to FLAC on my PC using Foobar2000 or Amarok on my Ubuntu laptop plus some tweaks and I love it, I can listen to FLAC on my MAC but it's such a hassle (because I don't know any better). So I converted my favorite artists to mp3 320
frown.gif

Any way, I hope to learn from here, and if you guys have any tips on how should I spend my money wisely, let me know!
beerchug.gif

Here's some of the sites that you can find out more about moi.

raulmontana’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm
http://rmpaparazzi.com/
raulmontana on deviantART
Raul Montana (raulmontana) on Twitter

Happy Saturday Night everyone!
beerchug.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #2 of 35
Welcome to head-fi my friend. Unfortunately, I do not know of any mac programs to use flac/ASIO etc...

Maybe you can try running bootcamp though - that way you'll get the best of both worlds. One question though - how did you have those speakers and then still manage with the bose triports?

Jul 19, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 35
Welcome Raul!

You came here to learn more eh? You'll learn more then your wallet wants you to learn!
biggrin.gif

Regarding your FLACs on a Mac, I would just encode them into AFLAC. Its essentially the same thing except it works in iTunes.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiml3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome Raul!

You came here to learn more eh? You'll learn more then your wallet wants you to learn!
biggrin.gif

Regarding your FLACs on a Mac, I would just encode them into AFLAC. Its essentially the same thing except it works in iTunes.

Wait! AFLAC has been working on a lossless audio codec? I don't think that meshes well with their current business model lol. I know it's supposed to be ALAC, but I just think it's funny.
biggrin.gif

I just play my FLAC files through iTunes using the latter method described here.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait! AFLAC has been working on a lossless audio codec? I don't think that meshes well with their current business model lol. I know it's supposed to be ALAC, but I just think it's funny.
biggrin.gif

I just play my FLAC files through iTunes using the latter method described here.

Ah man that's embarrassing!
redface.gif

I need some sleep. Lol.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #8 of 35
Songbird and Cog are excellent FLAC players for OS X. I also recommend grabbing MAX for ripping and encoding.

Fluke also allows you to play FLAC in iTunes, if you'd like to use it and not convert your files.

iTunes for OS X is a revelation. Use it if you can.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 35
Wow, I appreciate the warming welcome from everyone!

As far as.... Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to head-fi my friend. Unfortunately, I do not know of any mac programs to use flac/ASIO etc...

Maybe you can try running bootcamp though - that way you'll get the best of both worlds. One question though - how did you have those speakers and then still manage with the bose triports?

I have the M-Audio fast track guitar interface $100bux average, I can plug my headphones in the front port like this...

FAST-TRACK-USB.jpg
.... I hope that answers your question
wink.gif

Jul 19, 2009 at 10:33 AM Post #10 of 35
Hi, and welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Sure looks like a computer/speaker setup.

As for playing FLAC in Mac OS X you have some options.
* Fluke. Which allow iTunes to play FLAC.
* Songbird
* Play

Or simply convert them all to Apple Lossless, which are support in every part of the OS. Max will help you with that.

Jul 19, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 35
Another option for playing flacs on the mac is COG.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 35
Welcome. Since the guys provided you with all of the downloads which I know of to play FLAC files on your Mac, just remember to back up your library and music files and enjoy the music.

Jul 19, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aiml3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

lol, so true

and welcome raul

Jul 21, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #15 of 35
Just make sure that when you buy the headphones that you get ones that have a 3.5mm jack (or a 1/8th inch) - I know this sounds obvious but not gonna lie it took me a little while to realize the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back