AllofMP3
Jun 8, 2004 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Juergen

100+ Head-Fier
I just heard about the Russian music store called AllofMP3. Search is down and Google's 'Search This Site' really didn't help so I apologise for posting on a topic that I'm sure has been talked about.....

Here's what I would like to know:

- It appears that you can download songs in lossless compression formats like Flac. I really don't know anything about Flac but since it's classified as lossless, I assume I could reconstruct a song and burn it to a CD and it would be indistinguishable from the original CD version?

There are other issues like giving a credit card number to a foreign site (but then there is the PayPal method), obvious legality issues that can be discussed but my first question is about what you get and for how much. It sounds like you could download a 50MB song for 50 cents. This seems like the kind of music site I have been waiting for. I wouldn't pay a penny for a lossy compressed file but I would eagerly pay $1 for a music file that is identical to the original.

Jun 8, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
I just heard about the Russian music store called AllofMP3. Search is down and Google's 'Search This Site' really didn't help so I apologise for posting on a topic that I'm sure has been talked about.....

Here's what I would like to know:

- It appears that you can download songs in lossless compression formats like Flac. I really don't know anything about Flac but since it's classified as lossless, I assume I could reconstruct a song and burn it to a CD and it would be indistinguishable from the original CD version?

There are other issues like giving a credit card number to a foreign site (but then there is the PayPal method), obvious legality issues that can be discussed but my first question is about what you get and for how much. It sounds like you could download a 50MB song for 50 cents. This seems like the kind of music site I have been waiting for. I wouldn't pay a penny for a lossy compressed file but I would eagerly pay $1 for a music file that is identical to the original.

Hi..

I am a recent customer of AllofMp3.com, and my experience has been good so far. You have a very large catalog of music.. and it is also cheap. If you are content with lossy MP3 formats (like ~192kbps), then this site proves pretty cheap rather than going to the stores like Real music or iTunes. But if you want to go higher on the quality ladder, you do have options like Flac lossless and WMA lossless formats, as well as the original WAV format to download. Whatever format you choose, you can download the stuff at the rate of 1 cent per MB of download. In effect if you download the whole WAV version of the album, it comes to around $8 (~800MB @ 1 cent per MB).. If you choose one of the lossless formats like Flac or WMA lossless, you can download the same album for like 3-4 dollars. You have freeware utilities like dBpoweramp (www.dbpoweramp.com) that can convert between different audio formats, so you can download the lossless format and convert it to get almost WAV like quality (never tried this.. )

I use Paypal to pay for the downloads, so that I don't have to worry about handing my credit card to the russian mob..
smily_headphones1.gif
My overall experience with the site has been good.. the quality of songs is very good (not uber, though). But I guess the price pays for itself. Good luck.

-Raaj

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by raaj
.. the quality of songs is very good (not uber, though). But I guess the price pays for itself. ....

-Raaj

When you say "quality" are you referring to the quality of the lossily (sp?) compressed music?

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:25 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
When you say "quality" are you referring to the quality of the lossily (sp?) compressed music?

Yes.. This site uses a variant of LAME Mp3 encoding.. (I believe -aps standard.. not sure though).. but somehow I feel that though the quality is good, it could be better with many variations of Mp3 encoding available these days.. Just a feeling.. (as you are not EVER satisfied with what you have.. that is one prerequisite for being a true head-fi member...
wink.gif
)

Jun 8, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 5
Allofmp3 have been around for ages. I think they're one there 3rd design. Supposely they pay artist, and it's a legal site in Russia. I think lossless is 2 cents per mb. Still cheap though. You can choose from variues format. I think they might even have Musepack. Lossless=wave, just a bit smaller (an album is normally no larger than 350 in my experiense) and with tags.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back