allofmp3.com question...
Aug 27, 2004 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

widds2v

100+ Head-Fier
For those that have used it... when your ordering your song and are at like the confirmation screens, it says source "standart", does that mean they are just encoding from an -alt preset standard mp3? So.... picking anything else other than standard is a waste of $$ since your just making the file size bigger. Doesn't make sense though, because I can hear the difference between 128/192kbs & 320kbs LAME mp3s/oggs from them (even more of a difference using their cd source option). Really like their service, just starting to double guess it now after I've downloaded over 3 gigs of music from them (all decent sound quality), and thinking whether or not I wasted $$ picking the 320 over standard.

Aug 28, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 5
Unless you use the online encode, you are getting an encode from a 320kbps ABR mp3.... If you choose to use the online encode, your file gets encoded from a cd image...

I hope that made sense .... I personally don't use anything higher than --alt preset extreme, I can't notice a difference with anything higher.

Aug 28, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #3 of 5
Roger that, thanks. Wanted to double check to make sure it wasnt a waste. You know, you know if itunes was smart they'd let you download different bittrates, sucks 90% of the planet could care less.

Aug 28, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #4 of 5
Here is the way it works.

If it is stated what the bitrate it is, thats the way it is. No ther option.

If it is "online encode" then it is transcoded from a 384 kbs MP3 file.

If it is "online encode EX" and you select to get it from the CD, then it comes direct from the CD (no transcoding).

Aug 28, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by KyPeN
Here is the way it works.

Hrm, I was waay off, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back