AllofMp3 and transcoding? Yes or no?
Oct 13, 2004 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

motifone

New Head-Fier
hi there

I have been downloading some files from allofmp3.com. Generally, I use their service that encodes directly from the source CDROM. I have been buying the resulting encodes at 192 AAC. However, there are a few songs I want on allofmp3 that are not offered as direct encodes from the source CDROM -- rather they come from a 384kbps MP3 source file.

Since I have been ordering 192 AAC files from that site, would it be better better to transcode from the 384kbps file to 192AAC or would I be better off just getting a 192 or 256kbps MP3 file (I'm saying 256kbps MP3 because that is considered the equivalent I guess of a 192kbps AAC).

Are they both considering transcoding, whether you go from 384kbps MP3 to 192 AAC or from 384kbps MP3 to 192kpbs MP3? Which process would probably yield a better sounding file?

thanks in advance!!

Oct 13, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 8
Both are transcoding. In the real world I wouldn't get too uptight about this. A friend uses AllofMP3 and the files sound very good at --alt -preset extreme or --alt -preset insane transcoded. That's what I... err my friend uses.

My friend keeps it MP3 for the future in case he/she/it ever switches players and wouldn't want to transcode a second time.

There was a transcoding test awhile ago over at Hydrogen Audio. You may want to check for that.

Oct 13, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #3 of 8
I'll be sure to tell my "friend". Haha.

Maybe my first transcoded MP3 > AAC was just a bum transcode, which is why I started the thread. Last night, I compared the resulting AllofMp3 AAC to an MP3 of the same song I got from a different source (Limewire). My AllofMP3 AAC had a distinct hum when listening via my ER4p. The Limwire MP3 didn't. Not very scientific -- I need to see if they were from the same album.

Hey -- blessing -- I also read your signature. I, too, have an Ipod with Sik line out and the ER4p with 4S conversion cable. I'm thinking of buying a portable Amp and saw that you had the SR71 and, if I'm reading it right, the Supermono.... is the Mono out yet? If so, do you recommend the Mono? Noticeable improvement in sound? What configuration did ya get?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 14, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #4 of 8
Don't forget to use MP3gain or similar programs.
For whatever reason (weak Eurocrippled portable players ?) most of their songs are digitally gained way too loud, dependant on your setup that can result in audible digital clipping.

Oct 14, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 8
The hum might be an issue with transcoding from mp3 to aac. I used itunes to transcode some mp3s to aac for testing on my mini and found that many of them now suffer from static which might be due to compression and transcoding or a gain increase. Transcoding from 384kbps mp3s to a lower bitrate shouldn't cause a huge degredation in sq compared to ripping directly from source, so there might be something up with the way itunes does its compression for aac.

Oct 14, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by motifone
Hey -- blessing -- I also read your signature. I, too, have an Ipod with Sik line out and the ER4p with 4S conversion cable. I'm thinking of buying a portable Amp and saw that you had the SR71 and, if I'm reading it right, the Supermono.... is the Mono out yet? If so, do you recommend the Mono? Noticeable improvement in sound? What configuration did ya get?
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Yeah, I currently have a beta SuperMono (with all the extras). I believe the first Head-Fiers are just now receiving them, so you can definitely order them. Do I recommend it? Definitely. As I also do the SR71. I posted my
initial thoughts, but would love to get my hands on a release version. The both are substantial amps and really bring the iPod and Etys, Senns and I'm sure a lot of other phones alive. I really feel fortunate to have them both, and anyone that thinks a portable can't hold its own needs to try one with one of the top players.

Oct 14, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by motifone
I'll be sure to tell my "friend". Haha.

Maybe my first transcoded MP3 > AAC was just a bum transcode, which is why I started the thread.

remember, most of their library consists of "traded" material that is not always of the highest quality. however, at those prices, you have to accept it as part of the cast of the service.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back