Allesandro versus Grado's
Apr 29, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 17
Search is your friend, but from what I've read the general consensus is that Alessandro's are basically more neutral, less bass / midrange heavy as the Grados.

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 17
Less bass heavy than the Grados? The Grados have bass?

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 17
From my personal experience with the MS2i, it is a refined version of the 325i with a far more neutral presentation and better, tighter bass. I find the 325i a bit too shrill and forward, while the MS2i has a balanced and even tone.

I would say if anything, it's a "clinical" Grado. I know that the MS1 is a refined version of the 125, which isn't really well liked.

The MS Pro is considered a balanced neutral version of the RS1, without so much treble and less punch. People generally prefer the RS1 in my experience and based on what I've seen from other members.

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #5 of 17
I have owned both the 325i and MS2i at the same time. They are very different headphones. The MS2i is much more neutral than the 325i, toned down attack with the treble, and and a bit longer attack on the bass but less decay.

I liked the 325i more than the MS2i, I wouldn't call it "better". In fact, I would call the MS2i a technically better headphones, being more neutral. However, the MS2i really just did not get me going like the 325i did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by t1337Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

225 and below don't really have much bass, but the higher headphones do. most people never see this because they try out the sr60 or 225 and figure that is what all Grados must sound like.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 17
More neutral and warmer - similar yes, but slightly more laid back and condusive to longer listening sessions.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by t1337Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are already some of the most bassy open backs out there you can get. How many open backs can you think of that has more bass than the Grados? I can think of the HD650 and maybe the DT990.

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 17
I actually prefer the MS1 to my SR-325i in many ways. I mainly thought the MS1 to be lacking, but after doing A/B'ing I found the MS1 to be far more balanced and less congested sounding. It had an overall smoother sound. So my SR-325i is collecting dust along with my SR-225i....

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #9 of 17
Grados most certainly have bass. The RS-1 / HP-1000 have some of these best dynamic driver bass slam available in a headphone. In fact, the HP-1000 driven by something like a b22 or optioned-out PPAv2 could cause your brain to ooze from your ears.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #10 of 17
OK. I just sold my SR80, hoping to upgrade to SR225. But some bills are due and the SR225 would be hard stretch right now. What if I bought the MS-1? What would I lose/gain getting the MS1 over the SR225?

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #11 of 17
Alessandro is a more balanced grado.
I prefer Alessandro because of the less harsh highs. The grados I have heard are painful to my ears.

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 17
IMO THE SR-80,SR-125, SR-225, and MS-1 are so similar that the per dollar spent, it only makes sense to purchase the SR-80 or MS-1. I like my MS-1 as much as my SR-125, and the difference between the 125 and 225 IMO is very little, not enough to justify the price difference.

The Alessandro "Neutrality" by no means makes it an unFun headphone. It is still a Grado at heart.

Then again, I love my MS-1000

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK. I just sold my SR80, hoping to upgrade to SR225. But some bills are due and the SR225 would be hard stretch right now. What if I bought the MS-1? What would I lose/gain getting the MS1 over the SR225?

Well, you can see that there's lots of people here going "MS1 >>> SR80/SR225 cause it's more balanced/more smooth/more neutral", but IMHO why the heck are you looking at the Grados/Alessandros if you are looking for something balanced and smooth? You are better off getting the AD700 instead.

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, you can see that there's lots of people here going "MS1 >>> SR80/SR225 cause it's more balanced/more smooth/more neutral", but IMHO why the heck are you looking at the Grados/Alessandros if you are looking for something balanced and smooth? You are better off getting the AD700 instead.

I certainly wouldn't say the AD700 is any more balanced OR smooth than the prestige series Grados/ Alessandro MS1/2 - I found the highs just as shrill on them.

However, it is a good point. The Grado sound signature is still very present in the Alessandros, just to a lesser extent. Even the MS1/2 are still rather bright (can't comment on the MSpro, never heard one).

I haven't tried the SR-225 but I have a pair of SR-80 and MS1i, and I certainly prefer the MS1i. Not as shrill as the Grados, and while it might not have as much bass "slam", it has more warmth and depth to the bass. The MS1i seems to be more fun, I'd say - warmer, less fatuiguing. I haven't taken them off my head since I got them a week ago! I even prefer the comfy pads, save for the odd "serious listening" session.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 17
Well, I haven't had my SR80 for 4 days now, and I'm in Grado withdrawl, and I'm not going to be able to swing the extra cash for the SR225, so I've ordered the MS1 and can't wait for it to get here, get burn'd in, and on my head!

I definitely want the Grado sound, and didn't think the SR80 was bad, but I also don't mind a bit more "refinded" sound as many people describe the MS1 compared to the SR80/125 or even the 225. I know I'm going to lose a bit of detail not going to the 225, but I guess I'll never miss that extra bit if I never heard it to begin with!

I'll just have to be patient until I can throw some serious $$ at an RS-1 in a year or so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back