Allergic to Acrylic - Molds already done
Dec 16, 2011 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mikecreates

New Head-Fier
So I just got my JH-13s back after a long process of trying to keep them from hurting me when they are in my ears. The diagnosis- I am allergic to the acrylic and it's causing some contact dermatitis and therefore painful irritation after about 20 minutes of wear.

JH has been awesome about this but now I'm faced with a dilemma- what to do next. They coated my acrylic IEMs in some unknown hypo- allergenic coating (still waiting to hear back about what it actually is) and that made the problem less severe. But I still don't know that I'll be able to comfortably wear them for a full set (30 + minutes). 

Had I known that I was allergic I would've gone with another company that offers full hypoallergenic molds. But I love JHs service and just want this whole ordeal to be over.

Anyone know of something effective and relatively permanent that will keep me from having this reaction? I've heard about applying clear nail polish in layers but don't know if that'll work.

Please help. Thanks.

Dec 16, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Sorry to hear about that! You can try to have them add a "soft seal" to your IEMs, it will cover up the acrylic shell and leave it with a rubberish feel. Not sure if it will work but you can consider it.

Dec 16, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Wow what a bummer, sorry to hear that dude. If that doesnt work, you may have to sell them and go with Silicone Customs. I Think there is a company that makes these in the UK.
I really hope someone can help you" find the fix " .  As you obviously dig your JH13's.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
Had I known that I was allergic I would've gone with another company that offers full hypoallergenic molds. But I love JHs service and just want this whole ordeal to be over.

Just to clarify, there's no material which has zero potential for allergy.
They all have more or less potential for allergenicity. Hypoallergenic is just a marketing word to say that materials with low potential for allergy were used.

On the scientific side of materials, depending on how acrylates (or methacrylates) were well cured (=hardened) and washed afterwards (often with an alcohol), they'll contain a small proportion of uncured acrylates, which will make the final material more or less allergenic. The cured part is not allergenic by itself. Unless there was an issue during shell curing (which I doubt since JH is a serious company), I dont think there's an easy fix for your JH13s.

Since you seem to be rather sensitive to acrylates, there is no other efficient solution than to avoid contact completely.

Silicone has a much lower potential for allergy (although some additives in silicone can be allergenic). A reshell with silicone would be good in your case, although silicone shells are a bit less durable than acrylic ones (UV-yellowing and tearing are common issues with silicone, and earwax is able to penetrate silicone more easily than acrylate, which can cause more yellowing).

Depositing a silicone layer to cover the acrylic shell is technically possible but will require a lot more work, since the shells could be too big to fit your ear canals after the procedure.

Dec 17, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 5
have a look at acs custom. they make their ciem's out of silicone and are supposed to be an easier fit. i have a pair on order so can't say what they are like yet. i will try to give more feedback when i get them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back