Allen & Heath Xone XD-40 impressions
Feb 11, 2012 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Blinxat

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I picked up a pair of Xone XD-40's today in a local store called "Friendly House" it's this DJ Equipment and whatnot shop here in Vienna, Austria, I thought I'd mention it for anyone who happens to be in the area. The cool thing about it is that they have many headphones, I guess 20 or more out hanging there for testing with your own portable player setup! They sell much more than 20 models but about 20 are out on display.

Anyway I don't have that much experience with headphones and in-ears. I will only be able to compare the XD-40 to my current SE215 in ears. I was looking for something portable and visually appealing design wise with a sound signature that differs from the SE215's.

The XD-40's seem "brighter" to my ears with more detailed, crisp, vocals and highs, they seem to have higher resolution, I can pick up breathing from the artist easier with the XD-40's. I also think that the XD-40's have a more detailed bass with a wider range of bass differentiation if that makes sense? But in terms of bass quantity, punch and overall prominence the XD-40's are behind the SE215 in ears. The SE215 sound "fuller" without sounding dark in my opinion.

Unfortunately neither sound airy to me, meaning having a wider soundstage, both seem quite intimate to me, I think there isn't much in it between them in terms of instrument separation, but I think the SE215's might give slightly better sense of space on certain tracks.

The bass on the SE215's is probably muddy to some but I still love it, it's a fun IEM, the XD-40 is a little harsher with great mids and highs, just not for bass heads.

Wearing them in public is no problem for me despite the cable, the non coiled part of it is long enough to run down my body to the wasteline or even pocket, you can just put the player in your pocket and let the coiled part hang around loose on the outside, it' doesnt get under the shirt, so you have no weird looking bulges. (I'm 5,10/178cm) But even if you are taller it shouldn't get to the coiled part there is still a few cm of room left.

Also; these come bundled with a superb smug feeling inside when you come across the Beats wearing generic consumer. :D

I think my dream headphone would have slightly more prominent bass than the XD-40 and a wider soundstage, sound more 3D too, any suggestions? :) (for future purchase something more high-end I guess)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back