All you AKG K240S Lovers...
May 5, 2005 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ricola_pak

100+ Head-Fier
I admit defeat.

My beloved K240S has totally broken down. Not only is the cable not working (no sound coming out of the right cup), it is also falling apart physically (plastic parts that should stick together don't stick together anymore).

It's a sad, sad day.

So, I am determined on replacing these cans. For those of you who know the signature sound of these cans, what can I replace them with while also doing a upgrade?

Something closed would be nice too.

What I like about these cans is the warmth and the midrange. Can something like the Senn HD 595 replace these babies? Please offer me some advice.

May 5, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 12
Personally I haven't heard them, but you might just want to try the K271. Some people say they sound very similar in the mids, others say they sound a bit weird. There's not too many cans I can think of that are quite as bassy as the K240S, but then again, there's not too many cans that are quite like the K240S at all. Midrange is what typically defines a 'house sound' IMO, so you're probably better off sticking with AKG headphones rather than switching brands if you like what you hear in that area.

That said, I kinda like the Ultrasone HFI-700, but their build sucks and so does the comfort IMO. They are somewhat warm-sounding in the mids and are bassy like the K240S, just cleaner and more forward.

The other option is just getting another pair of K240 Studios. That really might be the most advisable solution. I'm surprised your 240s are coming apart, the ones I've owned have always been some of the most well-built headphones I've used.

May 6, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 12
Wow, I bought a pair of 240's today just for kicks. I can hear why many like these. Its just a fun set of cans with a nice smooth bassy sound.

Out of the Ear Max Pro, everything is so liquid - its like my DAC1 isn't there at all. Which could be a good or bad depending on how you look at it!

ricola_pak, you might consider DT770's if you wish to try a more technical sound and expansive soundstage while retaining the low end.

May 6, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
ricola_pak, you might consider DT770's if you wish to try a more technical sound and expansive soundstage while retaining the low end.

Won't have the warmth or the midrange he's looking for, though.

May 6, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricola_pak
What I like about these cans is the warmth and the midrange. Can something like the Senn HD 595 replace these babies? Please offer me some advice.

Oops, twas excited to write about the 240's. Forgot the last part of the post in my haste.

Scratch the DT770!

May 6, 2005 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 12
ricola_pak: Oh, what a pity... Anyway, if you want a closed replacement with a similarly groovy sound, but somewhat more neutral sonic balance, I'd suggest you to look into the Beyerdynamic DT250/250.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 6, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 12
I've tried the dt250-250 and found it very DISsimilar to the k240s. I'd advise you to stay away from it. Comfort is poor (earcups too small, headband too tight), and it emphasizes the highs, pretty much the opposite of the groovalizer.

When I posed the same question as you are on the boards some months ago, the answer I got was that the only similar sounding upgrade from the k240s is the HD 650. I haven't heard it personally though so take that recommendation with a grain of salt.

I just pulled the trigger myself on a hd-555. I've read that its a warm and somewhat dark phone, so I'm hoping that it appeals to my k240s-conditioned ears. I'll post my impressions when they've arrived & burned in.

May 6, 2005 at 10:54 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
I just pulled the trigger myself on a hd-555. I've read that its a warm and somewhat dark phone, so I'm hoping that it appeals to my k240s-conditioned ears. I'll post my impressions when they've arrived & burned in.

Good choice! I believe they'll be fine together.
tongue.gif

May 7, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #9 of 12
Anymore suggestions, anyone?

I guess I will look into the Senn HD-555 then
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #10 of 12
The K271 Studio might be a good bet. There will be less bass, but it is more well defined. The fact that they are closed is a bonus too. Quite a bit more detail across the spectrum as well and while you loose the airyness, the soundstage is quite intimate with decent imaging.

Have you ever heard the K501? Obviously much different from the K240 Studio, but if you want the fun of the K240S with all the refinement and class of the K501, you might want to give the K340 a try. They are only available used, benefit from a recabling [and other assorted mods] and need powerfull amplification. However, they are one of the few cans that I would say bests the K240S in the midrange. It pretty much kills it on all other fronts as well. If you go with a silver recable it will have less bass, but I think with a copper recable and some bluetak+cotton you could get easily as much bass as the K240S. The K340's have better imaging than any headphone that I have tried and are very detailed without being fatiguing. Definately in the top tier of headphones regardless of price.
wink.gif

May 7, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
I've tried the dt250-250 and found it very DISsimilar to the k240s. I'd advise you to stay away from it. Comfort is poor (earcups too small, headband too tight), and it emphasizes the highs, pretty much the opposite of the groovalizer.

When I posed the same question as you are on the boards some months ago, the answer I got was that the only similar sounding upgrade from the k240s is the HD 650. I haven't heard it personally though so take that recommendation with a grain of salt.

Hmmm, strange... emphasized highs? Well, compared to the K240S, one could say so - but overall it seems fairly neutral to me - much less bowl shaped frequency compared to the DT770Pro/250, for example... And comfort seems very good to me, too.

Can't comment on the HD 555, just on the HD 595: But if you find the DT250/250 non-groovalizerish, it won't be much different with the Sennheiser, I fear...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

May 7, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Hmmm, strange... emphasized highs? Well, compared to the K240S, one could say so - but overall it seems fairly neutral to me - much less bowl shaped frequency compared to the DT770Pro/250, for example... And comfort seems very good to me, too.

Can't comment on the HD 555, just on the HD 595: But if you find the DT250/250 non-groovalizerish, it won't be much different with the Sennheiser, I fear...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Well, to be clear, I sold my dt250-250 to gerG who worked on them to improve the bass, so there WAS a probelm with my set. But still, the highs ARE very extended and are prominent on the phone either way.

As far as the hd555 goes, I'm not looking for another groovalizer- I've already got one! I just want another relaxed warm phone that is different from the k240s and is a good all-round for general use. I'm hoping the hd555 fits the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back