All together now:
Aug 7, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 31
Apparently cans aren't necessary... Weird man, weird
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 31
there's been talk about HSS for a number of years now. i wonder when they're coming out with a consumer version.

4 years ago someone told me they were going to make a stereo with hss speakers in 2000, but i guess that didn't happen.

Aug 7, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by skippy
there's been talk about HSS for a number of years now. i wonder when they're coming out with a consumer version.

4 years ago someone told me they were going to make a stereo with hss speakers in 2000, but i guess that didn't happen.

It's like that old (2000) commercial; "It's the year 2000, where are all the flying cars ?"

biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #6 of 31
Hmm... The technology works by generating two ultrasonic frequencies that "beat" together to form the audio frequency - essentially like using two tweeters to make a woofer. I wonder if we can duplicate this via DIY...

The trick would be to figure out how to create this "beat" frequencty. I don't have any experience with this kind of stuff, alas...

Aug 7, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #7 of 31
The best part is the focus. . . speakers could be headphones, lol.

eric343: do you mean the low frequencys? The page says that is one of the obstacles. . .

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I want a flying car, dammit!
biggrin.gif

when I said headphone application, I mean 2 of these things on the side of you head.
tongue.gif

Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't look like there's any receiver involved.

Your source would just beam the music into your head
biggrin.gif

Medication ? Why do you ask ?
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Hmm... The technology works by generating two ultrasonic frequencies that "beat" together to form the audio frequency - essentially like using two tweeters to make a woofer. I wonder if we can duplicate this via DIY...

The trick would be to figure out how to create this "beat" frequencty. I don't have any experience with this kind of stuff, alas...

Well if he diy'ed it, I'm sure you can. In fact, I've got 30 million just lieing around in my offshore accounts waiting for an opertunity like this...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Biggie.

Aug 7, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #11 of 31
One of the technologies they've been looking at for this kind of technology (didn't finish reading the article, so stop me if it's already been mentioned) is minefield-sweeping. No, not that game that came with Windoze, I'm talking real minefields, as in "a landmine-free world". They used to send robots in to tap on the little trigger mechanisms, but that would blow up the robot. Now the robot can blow up the mine from a safe distance, and you get to see your tax dollar investment for another day!

Very cool.

Aug 7, 2002 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 31
yeah, I read the article in newsweek. The guy who invented it also invented many flukes such as the world's smallest fm radio.

Aug 7, 2002 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 31
I can't wait!! I must have one of them sound guns... Imagine walking on a crouded street pointing it at people. "BITCH".
They would then turn around and punch whoever stands right behind them. What a laugh.

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:45 PM Post #15 of 31
Yeah, but imagine having one of those sonic guns and you're in your flying car !

(somthing akin to Jack Handy's "what's more scary than a shark ? a shark riding an elephant...")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back