All this amplifying of headphones degrade the sound quality and the life time?
Oct 23, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
A direct-coupled design needs to be well-executed to prevent DC leakage from frying a driver.

Yup. Most DC coupled amp makers use a DC servo circuit that basically nulls out and DC componant (and AC up to maybe 5 Hz.

Also, good headphone amps have a high damping factor that causes the driver to move only with the music and not rattle around under it's own inertia.

Assuming you are listening at less than ear bleed levels (and you shouldn't listen at any where near those levels) the premis of this whole thread is just wrong. If you do listen at very high levels you are LESS likely to damage your cans with a good amp as it is doing a better job of keeping the drivers under control.

Oct 23, 2005 at 6:58 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Gross oversimplification alert #2!

Watts are watts, coulombs are coulombs..etc..

From an AC sine wave standpoint, .2 Watts from amplifier A is the same as .2 watts from amplifier B. Granted they may sound different.... But from an AC wave standpoint they're identical. So long as neither are pushed into clipping (becasue that can heat up the coil), and neither are pushing the driver beyond its physical limits.

Garrett

Sorry, I just don't understand your point here, I don't see any issues with Hirsch's statement as written.
confused.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Sorry, I just don't understand your point here, I don't see any issues with Hirsch's statement as written.
confused.gif

No point really... Im just adding to it. I agree with hirsh's statement and am not trying to correct it.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #19 of 21
I thought the same!

Thats why I connect my Disney Donald 70 Anniversary Radio to my full-size loudspeakers without amp.

I'm not getting much of sound but my loudspeakers sure will last!
icon10.gif

Now seriously, nothing wrong with ask, but your concerns have no justification. Just get an Amp for more Ohmp!

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
No point really... Im just adding to it. I agree with hirsh's statement and am not trying to correct it.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

OK, I understand you now, I reread Hirsch's post very closely four times and couldn't find a flaw, I was wondering what I was missing!
biggrin.gif

Oct 23, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #21 of 21
so according to tyll.. a low gain setting with the volume knob set higher provides more current and therefor better driver control.. resulting in safer conditions for your headphones?

i may be completely wrong... we havent gotten into electricity or sound in physics yet this year, although i cant wait... ^.^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back