All things Metrum Acoustics
Jul 31, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #1,336 of 1,451
How is the audial s5 sounding in your setup ?
Any comparisons vs adagio ?
So I've given this a bit of thought, and have concluded that I prefer the S5.

I suck at describing what I hear, so bear with me please. The Adagio is an excellent DAC, and has been the component in my system I have been most proud to own since I bought it. However, the S5 stages better. It presents an enveloping, holographic soundstage. It's an effortlessly relaxed and musical DAC, by which I mean that everything is presented perfectly in space (or how I imagine perfect to be at least) and is just so viscerally 'real'. Everything is beautifully defined without being overly sharp or bright.

I read a comment from another owner in which he described the S5 as 'sublime', and in that regard we are in agreement. It's simply wonderful.

Of course the DACs have different uses at home; the Adagio remains the heart of my main speaker system, and the S5 is the heart of my headphone system.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #1,337 of 1,451
Tried optical into ambre via FMC & results are very good with NOS or ext OS (4x). Both micro & macro dynamics benefit. Better layering, spacing from back to front. Depth has improved.

Edit: Optical fibre input via FMC (fibre media converter ) into LAN (Ambre)
After successfully trying ambre & optical fibre connection next is connecting singxer SU6 ddc in the chain.
I’ve taken usb out (supra excalibur) from rpi4 inside ambre (modded) & connected to su6. I’ve also changed the internal Ethernet cable from cat 6 UTP to 6a sftp (nothing fancy). This setup is far better than rpi4 in argon one case connected to LPS(hdplex) & su6 (via usb). I guess extra shielding from cable, better PS, LAN port (100mbps) on ambre are the possible causes. Both NOS & ext OS(8x) benefit from this combination.

Aug 6, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #1,338 of 1,451
After successfully trying ambre & optical fibre connection next is connecting singxer SU6 ddc in the chain.
I’ve taken usb out (supra excalibur) from rpi4 inside ambre (modded) & connected to su6. I’ve also changed the internal Ethernet cable from cat 6 UTP to 6a sftp (nothing fancy). This setup is far better than rpi4 in argon one case connected to LPS(hdplex) & su6 (via usb). I guess extra shielding from cable, better PS, LAN port (100mbps) on ambre are the possible causes. Both NOS & ext OS(8x) benefit from this combination.
Have you taken the top plate permanently out of Ambre to access USB of Pi?

Aug 6, 2023 at 1:29 PM Post #1,339 of 1,451
Have you taken the top plate permanently out of Ambre to access USB of Pi?
I just remove the top plate when required. There is a slight opening on one side due to usb cable after placing the top plate.

Aug 23, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #1,340 of 1,451
So I've given this a bit of thought, and have concluded that I prefer the S5.

I suck at describing what I hear, so bear with me please. The Adagio is an excellent DAC, and has been the component in my system I have been most proud to own since I bought it. However, the S5 stages better. It presents an enveloping, holographic soundstage. It's an effortlessly relaxed and musical DAC, by which I mean that everything is presented perfectly in space (or how I imagine perfect to be at least) and is just so viscerally 'real'. Everything is beautifully defined without being overly sharp or bright.

I read a comment from another owner in which he described the S5 as 'sublime', and in that regard we are in agreement. It's simply wonderful.

Of course the DACs have different uses at home; the Adagio remains the heart of my main speaker system, and the S5 is the heart of my headphone system.
Thanks for your impressions about the S5. Did you try it in your main speaker system as well?
May I assume the Adagio is in your main speaker system because of its volume control?

Matt

Aug 23, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #1,341 of 1,451
Thanks for your impressions about the S5. Did you try it in your main speaker system as well?
May I assume the Adagio is in your main speaker system because of its volume control?

Matt
100%. I have just had some ATC SCM40A on demo. I loved them, but my wife wasn't keen. The search continues.

Aug 27, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #1,342 of 1,451
wow that has been a while (since I was here)

meanwhile I upgraded the I2S card to the ultra clock, the Amethyst to an Adagio (DAC3) the Klangfilm to a freak single mesh triode tube amp and the AMD R7 via a R9 16core to a dual xeon server on a linear PSU. I might have to pop in at Metrum next week since one RCA output is dead so I'll ask about their status.

Anyone here who did surgery on the output (Mine has the Fet stage single ended output with transformers)? I bet the transformer for the single ended output can be improved...am now going to try single ended taken from the balanced output...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #1,343 of 1,451
wow that has been a while (since I was here)

meanwhile I upgraded the I2S card to the ultra clock, the Amethyst to an Adagio (DAC3) the Klangfilm to a freak single mesh triode tube amp and the AMD R7 via a R9 16core to a dual xeon server on a linear PSU. I might have to pop in at Metrum next week since one RCA output is dead so I'll ask about their status.

Anyone here who did surgery on the output (Mine has the Fet stage single ended output with transformers)? I bet the transformer for the single ended output can be improved...am now going to try single ended taken from the balanced output...
Use this cable from XLR output
https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-xlrfm-to-rca-adapter-cable-pin-3-floating
This has pin 3 floating. This cable will output 2vrms. XLR output sounds better than old trafo coupled RCA out on pavane/adagio.

Aug 28, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #1,344 of 1,451
Use this cable from XLR output
https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-xlrfm-to-rca-adapter-cable-pin-3-floating
This has pin 3 floating. This cable will output 2vrms. XLR output sounds better than old trafo coupled RCA out on pavane/adagio.

Thanks, I only wonder if floating is right for my amp...My amp is input mains connected (as most IME)
I do have a cheapo POC cable on the way, if that works and I like the result I'll likely build a cable using fairy dust wire and elve spun shielding :wink:

Aug 28, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #1,345 of 1,451
Thanks, I only wonder if floating is right for my amp...My amp is input mains connected (as most IME)
I do have a cheapo POC cable on the way, if that works and I like the result I'll likely build a cable using fairy dust wire and elve spun shielding :wink:
I’m using the same cable with my single ended tube preamp. Working fine.
Floating (means not connected ) is on XLR side i.e. XLR out of adagio. RCA side of the cable has typical configuration.

Aug 28, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #1,346 of 1,451
I've got the cable and it works, just with some 50Hz ...likely due to the proximity of power amp mains wires....
Think we'll pursue using the input transformer in my amp to go from balanced to single ended...cleaner sound with more detail and flow

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #1,348 of 1,451
Sep 1, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #1,349 of 1,451
I've read that now and the letter doesn't make any sense.

They describe how Metrum is the TOTL audiophile brand and Sonnet the value for money brand. Yet the products cost the same and the Sonnet DACs are arguably superior...

I don't see how they are going to reposition the brands to achieve their vision. They could kill the current Sonnet lineup, but that makes no sense.

No news on new products. Not even a suggestion that something is coming.

Confusing.

Sep 1, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #1,350 of 1,451
I've read that now and the letter doesn't make any sense.

They describe how Metrum is the TOTL audiophile brand and Sonnet the value for money brand. Yet the products cost the same and the Sonnet DACs are arguably superior...

I don't see how they are going to reposition the brands to achieve their vision. They could kill the current Sonnet lineup, but that makes no sense.

No news on new products. Not even a suggestion that something is coming.

Confusing.
Are you following Cees’s FB profile for latest R&D ? Hoping to see his efforts in new lineup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back