All things Metrum Acoustics
Jul 15, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #1,291 of 1,451
Did you buy it as DAC2 and upgrade?
Prior owner originally bought it with DAC2 modules. He upgraded it to DAC3. I've heard the Onyx both ways. Although I couldn't do a direct before/after comparison, I'm really impressed with how it sounds with DAC3. In particular, the treble seems "sweeter," without any noticeable falloff at the top end.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #1,292 of 1,451
Prior owner originally bought it with DAC2 modules. He upgraded it to DAC3. I've heard the Onyx both ways. Although I couldn't do a direct before/after comparison, I'm really impressed with how it sounds with DAC3. In particular, the treble seems "sweeter," without any noticeable falloff at the top end.
That's the issue for me, and holds me back. £2K for the upgrade must result in a significant improvement, or why bother? I haven't read any owner feedback suggesting more than a marginal gain. And of course DAC2 is already very good.

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #1,293 of 1,451
I haven't read any owner feedback suggesting more than a marginal gain. And of course DAC2 is already very good.
the Adagio already is amongst the best DACs out there
DAC3 modules will give you an even better Adagio

marginal? yes, past a given point... everything is just marginal and every *little* step is increasingly expensive
a completely different "sound signature" (which is not the case with DAC3s) would be *not* marginal. maybe that's what you are looking for

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:27 PM Post #1,294 of 1,451
DAC3 are supposedly “drier” and more “neutral” sounding with somewhat increased reolution in the mids, but others say it looses a bit on smoothness and volume of voices - hence why I’m reluctant to upgrade…

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 1:30 PM Post #1,295 of 1,451
the Adagio already is amongst the best DACs out there
DAC3 modules will give you an even better Adagio

marginal? yes, past a given point... everything is just marginal and every *little* step is increasingly expensive
a completely different "sound signature" (which is not the case with DAC3s) would be *not* marginal. maybe that's what you are looking for
Well when they come back into stock I might buy them and try. Of course we never know when this will be because Metrum tell us nothing.

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,296 of 1,451
DAC3 are supposedly “drier” and more “neutral” sounding with somewhat increased reolution in the mids, but others say it looses a bit on smoothness and volume of voices - hence why I’m reluctant to upgrade…
One of my issues too. What to do if you don't like them? I can't return in 14 days for refund? If it was risk free then I'd be more confident to try.

I want to believe!

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #1,297 of 1,451
One of my issues too. What to do if you don't like them? I can't return in 14 days for refund? If it was risk free then I'd be more confident to try.

I want to believe!
Here, no risk involved, just read and listen for yourself:
https://alpha-audio.net/review/review-metrum-acoustics-dac3-upgrade-2/

They also have lossless (FLAC) samples to listen to:
https://cloud2.alpha-it.nl/index.php/s/SYyT8PtA7XHNqsp

and here:
https://alpha-audio.net/videocast/sample-test-metrum-acoustics-dac2-vs-dac3-modules/

Well the only risk left is that you go here and order them:
https://metrumacoustics.com/home/42-metrum-acoustics-dac3-modules.html

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #1,298 of 1,451
I definitely recommend listening to these comparison files. Ironically, however, the differences you may hear between them can be affected by the characteristics of the DAC that you're listening to them through.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #1,299 of 1,451
I definitely recommend listening to these comparison files. Ironically, however, the differences you may hear between them can be affected by the characteristics of the DAC that you're listening to them through.
Yes of course, that has to be a very neutral DAC

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #1,300 of 1,451
I know few people are against the notion of using upsampling on Metrum dacs.
But, I like the option of NOS & external upsampling.
I’d upgraded my HQP embedded(Linux server) to version 5 few months back & after experimenting with old & new filters I’ve set to sinc medium(new filter)/LNS15 & upsampling pcm 8x to 352/384.
Sinc medium maintains the tonal density or even improves it without smearing notes as compared to NOS. Technicalities have improved without sounding artificial or lean. Sounds like a new dac (pavane plus) lol.

Jul 16, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #1,301 of 1,451
I know few people are against the notion of using upsampling on Metrum dacs.
But, I like the option of NOS & external upsampling.
I’d upgraded my HQP embedded(Linux server) to version 5 few months back & after experimenting with old & new filters I’ve set to sinc medium(new filter)/LNS15 & upsampling pcm 8x to 352/384.
Sinc medium maintains the tonal density or even improves it without smearing notes as compared to NOS. Technicalities have improved without sounding artificial or lean. Sounds like a new dac (pavane plus) lol.
Are you still running the default OS on the Ambre? I have been thinking about updating it to the most recent version of Ropieee. I'm curious as to whether there's an SQ gains to be eeked out...

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #1,302 of 1,451
Are you still running the default OS on the Ambre? I have been thinking about updating it to the most recent version of Ropieee. I'm curious as to whether there's an SQ gains to be eeked out...
Only benefit will be ability to use UPnP, NAA, Spotify Connect as compared to default OS which I guess is customized for Roon RAAT.

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #1,303 of 1,451
Nope. Using gentooplayer on both server & rpi4/singxer su6 & ambre.
I got rid of stock OS in 2019.

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #1,304 of 1,451
Nope. Using gentooplayer on both server & rpi4/singxer su6 & ambre.
I got rid of stock OS in 2019.
A worthwhile pursuit from a SQ perspective?

Jul 16, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #1,305 of 1,451
Only benefit will be ability to use UPnP, NAA, Spotify Connect as compared to default OS which I guess is customized for Roon RAAT.
That's a shame. If it won't sound better then there's no point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back