All things Metrum Acoustics
Feb 28, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #916 of 1,451
Vit OS, tell us more please?

I'm currently using Daphile Real Time, may go for W10 LTSC at some point but a new OS is always interesting IF it supports a broad range of hardware...
Georges’s comment tweaked my interest here is a good thread on vitOS: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/silent-angel-vitos/90551/171 from what I’ve read so far it only supports USB out, none of the HATs, but I can’t independently verify that. I don’t want to use USB so if that’s true then I won’t be trying this although the idea of the digione with different outputs is intriguing (I would compare vitOS on digione via SPDIF to Onyx with Ambre via I2S)

Feb 28, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #917 of 1,451
USb only is a dogma I won;t follow...I2S easily outperforms SPDIF if done right..thanks for the insight!

Mar 2, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #919 of 1,451
Any word about the Sonnet Morpheus and these DAC3 modules? Does the Morpheus have them already? If not, can the Morpheus use them too?

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #920 of 1,451
I expect they are already used in the Morpheus;

The SDA-2, a new generation DAC module was designed to get the best regulation possible. The result of this process is an extremely high linearity, right down to -140 dB, which gives our products a realistic 24 bit dynamic range. It is musical, honors the Non-oversampling principle and simultaneously incorporating the technological progress that has been made over the years.

To be sure you'd need to drop them a message

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #923 of 1,451
Vit OS, tell us more please?

I'm currently using Daphile Real Time, may go for W10 LTSC at some point but a new OS is always interesting IF it supports a broad range of hardware...

You won't like it - it runs on a Pi :)

Super low latency OS. Purportedly excellent SQ. Is a Roon EP. Will allow output via USB or a Pi HAT. I'll be trying it tomorrow with a DigiOne; I'll let you know how it goes.

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #924 of 1,451
USb only is a dogma I won;t follow...I2S easily outperforms SPDIF if done right..thanks for the insight!

I2S isn't better than SPDIF/AES on the Adagio. I can switch between all 3 using the Ambre and there is zero, nada, no difference at all between them.

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #925 of 1,451
I expect they are already used in the Morpheus;

The SDA-2, a new generation DAC module was designed to get the best regulation possible. The result of this process is an extremely high linearity, right down to -140 dB, which gives our products a realistic 24 bit dynamic range. It is musical, honors the Non-oversampling principle and simultaneously incorporating the technological progress that has been made over the years.

To be sure you'd need to drop them a message

I suggested this some time ago and was shouted down. My antagonist insisted the new DAC3 chips were made by some M2 Tech guys. How true that is, God only knows.

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #926 of 1,451
Georges’s comment tweaked my interest here is a good thread on vitOS: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/silent-angel-vitos/90551/171 from what I’ve read so far it only supports USB out, none of the HATs, but I can’t independently verify that. I don’t want to use USB so if that’s true then I won’t be trying this although the idea of the digione with different outputs is intriguing (I would compare vitOS on digione via SPDIF to Onyx with Ambre via I2S)

Hello there. According to Jonnie Darko is does support HATs. I am going to try one tomorrow on a Pi4 (I understand that Vit OS will only run on a Pi 4).

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #927 of 1,451
I suggested this some time ago and was shouted down. My antagonist insisted the new DAC3 chips were made by some M2 Tech guys. How true that is, God only knows.
I had a conversation with someone from Sonnet who said that someone at Metrum 'trained by Cees' will do development so he can focus on Sonnet. FWIW and all of that, fact is that we'll see and have to wait until the first units arrive.

About I2S, someone else from Metrum shared with me they prefer I2S, my statement about I2S was not about every implementation of I2S versus every implementation of USB and or SPDIF, so YMMV. In my setup the difference between USB and I2S was large, the difference between I2S and SPDIF smaller but still significant enough to make me vastly prefer it.
Not hearing any difference might point at something else in the chain restricting things, it's not as if my car stereo would reveal the finer nuances between high end cables. (and I'm sooooo happy about that because I'd have another constant development area on my hands real soon)

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #930 of 1,451
Sorry this is long, but I wanted to share it because it’s relevant to pedalhead’s question. Back in 2017 I put this question to Cees:

Do you have an opinion on the difference in sound quality of a native 44.1 redbook stream versus the same file upsampled to 384k going into the USB input on the Musette? Personally I am having a hard time noticing much difference using HQplayer on my laptop to try it out...

His answer:

My opinion is that you cannot create more information as available in the red book standard. Compare a single sample with a battery having a certain voltage, it is not more than that. Up sampling has more effect on oversampling dacs as this technique will reduce ringing caused by very steep FIR filters. But as you know NOS dacs do not use steep filters so there is no risk for ringing and therefore there is no real difference between the original samples and the interpolated data created by up sampling. Further investigating from my side is that there are many algorithms to do the up sampling but some of them are not free from artefacts. Especially these artefacts can be noticed as a kind of improvement which is wrong of course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back