All things Metrum Acoustics
Feb 26, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #903 of 1,451
keep in mind that you won't need to pay 21% VAT, so the total at checkout is closer to 380 euro, a steal :wink:

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:58 AM Post #907 of 1,451
For those who are using the Volumio SD card being sold by Metrum Acoustics with their Metrum Ambre, what advantages does this newer card have as compared with the original? Can one access Roon and more streaming platforms, with the Volumio card, for example, and, more importantly, does the Volumio sound better than the original card?

Thanks

Patrick

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #908 of 1,451
For those who are using the Volumio SD card being sold by Metrum Acoustics with their Metrum Ambre, what advantages does this newer card have as compared with the original? Can one access Roon and more streaming platforms, with the Volumio card, for example, and, more importantly, does the Volumio sound better than the original card?

Thanks

Patrick

The Ambre is just a Pi with a good power supply, so Roon will still recognise it as an EP. Volumio supposedly offers better SQ, but I haven't tried it with my current components so couldn't say.

There are far cheaper, higher SQ options for a Roon EP. I wouldn't buy the Ambre again if I did over.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #911 of 1,451
Name at least one cheaper and better SQ than Ambre for Roon EP.

Allo DigiOne
Allo DigiOne Sig
Asus Tinkerboard > USB

There are three.

Feb 27, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #912 of 1,451
Ambre has improved my system a lot. IS2 integration with Onyx, perfect operation with Roon are points that attract me. Fun and excellent quality

It's decent. The output options are excellent. If you're happy then that's all that matters.

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #914 of 1,451
I respectfully disagree with the first two, at least not with Metrum dac anyway. I found Ambre/Hermes sounding noticeably better than digione and Pi2AES. Haven’t heard of the third one so can’t comment

It's just my opinion, I'm not offended if others think differently :)

Out of curiosity, what did you use to power the Pi? I use an LPSU and find it greatly improves the SQ.

I still have the Ambre in my main system, but I'm not sure it'll be staying there. The DigiOne just brings so much vibrancy; it's really something.

I've been reading about Vit OS on John Darko's site; there are a few interesting videos about it on YT as well. I suspect that may be my next experiment.

Feb 28, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #915 of 1,451
Vit OS, tell us more please?

I'm currently using Daphile Real Time, may go for W10 LTSC at some point but a new OS is always interesting IF it supports a broad range of hardware...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back