All things Electronic.
May 14, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #31 of 61
May 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #32 of 61
I guess I'm old. I droped L to Tangerine Dream in 1973 at the young age of 13. Ya!......... that's Southern California for ya.

May 14, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #33 of 61
I loved everything that came out on the Private Music label (founded by members of Tangerine Dream) in the '80s. Unfortunately, they didn't make it, and now those CDs are very hard to find. Highlights included Ancient Dreams by Patrick O'Hearn, House of Sleeping Beauties by Lucia Hwong, and Safety in Numbers by David Van Tieghem.

May 14, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #34 of 61
Yes, I think I found a Private Music New Wave Sampler on LP with alot of grass roots electronic bands from the early eighties. I have not played that one but one time in 1999. I will have to look for it. I think it was on some English Import lable? An England only release. Patrick O'Hearns Ancient Dreams yes I was a big fan of that in 1991 after he left Zappa and Missing Persons. Loved it but sold the CD. A direct Tangerine Dreamesk release.

May 15, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #35 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by adrift /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here I thought Johnny Rotten was influenced more by the Ramones, The NY Dolls, and The Stooges.

biggrin.gif

Yea, Sex Pistols were big in '76-'77 and not the '80s. At least it was in the UK but I guess the '80s may be more apt for the U.S. because they are a bit slow on the uptake.
wink.gif

May 15, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #36 of 61
If we're going to go by record labels, I have to mention Blue Room Released - a critically important within its own sphere of influence but under-appreciated record label that gave a jump-start to a few "little-known" electronic artists like Total Eclipse, Raja Ram in all his various incarnations, Juno Reactor, X-Dream, Etnica, and a few other names in the psytrance scene that you may just well recognize. The label went under after a short but massively influential career but then again they were founded (by the then-chairman of the B&W speaker company no less) with the forethought that they would be losing money but doing a service to the music world. Even though their immediate influence is mostly felt in the psytrance/goa community the influence of the many legendary acts that they spawned is now felt in electronic music everywhere.

May 15, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #37 of 61
I'm not a big fan of electronica, but an album I've enjoyed for almost 15 years that I think would qualify is:

orb.jpg

May 15, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by nvkid909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't believe u.f.orb not in that list! one of my all time fav. albums

Ditto!

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, forgot about that one which I also have.

Weeps for the forgotten Orb.

I bought this from Piccadilly Records on its release day, the limited edition black PVC 2 Disc vinyl, myself and my friend (sadly now on a new adventure). Got home played it to a bunch of people they said What is this crap? It has been with me ever since, probably my favorite album of all time, with all its associated memories. For me as seminal as any electronic album.

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #44 of 61
another name drop: luke slater

my favourite albums of his, "wireless", & the mix comps "fear & loathing 2"

wireless is a cracking boombastic breaks & techno album, while F&L 2 is a great mix starting from ambient / minimal getting progressively harder as it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back