All the AKG 701s from Japan on eBay: fakes?
Jul 13, 2021 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

wifesboyfriend

New Head-Fier
I have an ancient set of AKG 701s that I never use and was thinking about selling.

I checked eBay for going prices and saw that there's a ton of used AKG 701s from sellers in Japan for around $120-$150.

I know that for several other types of merchandise, a seller claiming to be in Japan is a red flag, because the seller is actually in China and is selling fakes. I'm not familiar enough with headphones to know whether this is the case with AKG 701s?

Just wondering. If all I can get for them is $120-$150 (minus fees), I'll just keep them. But if genuine AKGs (as mine are) go for more, I'll consider selling them.

To introduce myself: I've been lurking/reading here for years but only now signed up to post. At my home office I have Sennheiser 6xxs (the Drop 650s) hooked up to a Fiio amp, at the gym I have Sennheiser 4.4s, for loud places I have Sennheiser 4.5s, and when on my laptop I use Sony 1000MX3s. I also have some nice wired Grados and Audio Technicas in a drawer somewhere. Where I live isn't hospitable to full-size high-end audio (unreliable electricity + hot and humid + roaming thieves), so I make do with headphones and with my car audio setups, though "back in the day" I used to play around with home audiophile systems. Good to meet everyone.

Jul 13, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 3
Yes, that used market price range seems about right, though prices are generally a bit higher on eBay. Amazon lists a new K701 for example at $200, but I've seen it fluctuate down to $180. Granted, this is probably the newer "Made in China" version with the smooth headband. The older "Made in Austria" ones with the bumpy headband can go for higher, but even then it's rare to crack above $200 from what I've seen unless it's like NIB.

There are actually a lot of legit JP sellers on there for headphones since JP also has a decently sized audiophile community. But usually they also have a fat shipping fee, either explicitly stated or included into the price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back