All round set up vs diverse earphones - advice on my initial thoughts pls
Sep 5, 2016 at 10:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

redwookie

New Head-Fier
Hi.  Current set up is:

AK Jr
Fiio E12 Mont Blanc
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 in ear (main), PSB M4U2 (travel)

I am happy with the AK Jr (recent purchase) but wanted to upgrade headphones and potentially the portable amp.

Ideal headphones
great reproduction of original recording if any leaning then towards bass end
good isolation
can be driven with or without amp
I'm not sure whether the last point is true for these, but I had been looking at Oppo PM3 or Shure SRH1540

Diverse option
1. One good pair of home listening open backs (i.e. Grado) to be used with amp
1. One good pair of closed backs that can be driven by AK Jr alone without portable amp.  Good isolation would be needed as these would be used regularly when riding buses trains etc.  I had been looking at Momentum 2.0, Denon AH-MM400, P7 & H6

Portable amp
Just to add some complexity (!), the Oppo HA2 had caught my eye as having very good reviews and wondered if anyone had experience of whether this would be much of a step up from my Fiio E12 Mont Blanc.

Thanks in advance

Sep 5, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 9
You should consider the Beyerdynamic DT-1770 Pro

Sep 5, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi.  Current set up is:

AK Jr
Fiio E12 Mont Blanc

I am happy with the AK Jr (recent purchase) but wanted to upgrade headphones and potentially the portable amp.

Ideal headphones
good isolation
I'm not sure whether the last point is true for these, but I had been looking at Oppo PM3 or Shure SRH1540

Diverse option
1. One good pair of closed backs that can be driven by AK Jr alone without portable amp.  Good isolation would be needed as these would be used regularly when riding buses trains etc.  I had been looking at Momentum 2.0, Denon AH-MM400, P7 & H6

Portable amp
Just to add some complexity (!), the Oppo HA2 had caught my eye as having very good reviews and wondered if anyone had experience of whether this would be much of a step up from my Fiio E12 Mont Blanc.

Thanks in advance
You are all offer the place as what you want. If you want a amp and DAC for both Chord Mojo. New headphones the PM-3 are very nice have not heard the Shures I don't think so won't say. The Momentum 2's I liked the others I have not heard. You are too over the map as what your looking for it's hard to say.

Sep 5, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 9
  Hi.  Current set up is:

AK Jr
Fiio E12 Mont Blanc

Ideal headphones
good isolation

Diverse option

Portable amp

Thanks in advance

Is budget out the window? Can we assume you have funds to buy anything? 

If so, Then for the Ideal option, the PM3 is pretty good. I own it and love it. Then again, I have never heard any of its other competitors, so I know I am biased :))

As to the ideal option, if money is no object, The Utopia headphone with a cavalli amp seems to be the rage now :))
I honestly cant give opinions here as I havent heard any open backs, but I am strongly considering the Elear and I already own an amp and DAC.
But the PM3 also fits into your diverse  option as well, so it might be a good headphone to start with, see if it meets all your needs and expand from there in the future. A lot of people call it rolled off in the treble, and because of this it does get alot of flack and has its detractors. For me it is fine. has great mids, nice bass and a smooth though not a very extended treble.

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for comments.  I appreciate the original request may have not been clear, but in summary I was thinking of spending about £500-£750 to update my mobile listening set up and specifically to have a different new over ear option that would be used as follows: 

34% sat in public place with use of portable amp (i.e. train)
33% home listening with use of portable amp (i.e. so could be open back)
33% walking with no use of portable amp

So that's the context as to why I'm wondering whether to go with a  single set of headphones with my budget or look into maybe two options to cover off my needs.  In any event, I think the advice to start with the PM3 seems sensible as I had been leaning towards that, but will order  closer to the weekend.

Has anyone had experience of the Oppo HA2 amp and whether a noticeable upgrade to my Fiio E12 Mont Blanc as I was also wondering whether this would be a sensible use of my budget to upgrade?  I will also look into the Chord Mojo based on the comments above.

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 9
  Hi.  Current set up is:

AK Jr
Fiio E12 Mont Blanc

Ideal headphones
good isolation

Diverse option

Portable amp

Why are you looking at Grados? Their response is jagged, with peaks in the midrange that enhances their sound in terms of preference but that's not a great representative of the recording if by that you mean accuracy. They have strong upper bass/low mids but roll off the low bass too early. Isolation is nearly non-existent also.

Grados are all-rounders if you don't care about accuracy, soundstage, or isolation, and just more into making any music with a beat have that so enhanced you'd tap your feet to practically anything.

Sep 7, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 9
Grados seem polarizing on here for some. The SR60s 10 years ago were my first set of headphones that made me go "whoa" and introduce me to the world of sound that I had been missing, so I'll admit to some nostalgic positive bias towards them. I really have to disagree with the idea that they have no accurate soundstage, as I find Grados overall to be very open and wide in terms of it, and are my go-to when I want spacious sound that I can visualize. That's the funny thing about headphones. One person's preference is the other's headache.

You can snag a used pair of 80s or 125s really cheaply. I'd recommend just adding some for fun even if they don't become your everyday pair.

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Grados seem polarizing on here for some. 

I take it for what they are and love them for that. My point only is that OP is looking for accuracy, something I don't expect out of a Grado. That said even crappy recordings sound great with them, without necessarily making good ones sound bad, just inaccurate. And then there are the ergonomics. Still, I'm saving up for a Vixxen for transportable and casual listening use. Sure, it's expensive, but Grado drivers in a Beyer chassis addresses the ergonomics angle.

Quote:

I really have to disagree with the idea that they have no accurate soundstage, as I find Grados overall to be very open and wide in terms of it, and are my go-to when I want spacious sound that I can visualize. That's the funny thing about headphones. One person's preference is the other's headache.

The soundstage only seems wide, but if you think about the relative position of the instruments, you can't have the cymbals far out to the flanks with the bass drum where the vocalist is, unless the drummer is Reed "Mr Fantastic" Richards. Wearing them slightly forward of the ear canals reduces the harsh splash of the cymbals but it won't really push them closer to the center or farther to the back by much.

Sep 8, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #9 of 9
And then there are the ergonomics. Still, I'm saving up for a Vixxen for transportable and casual listening use. Sure, it's expensive, but Grado drivers in a Beyer chassis addresses the ergonomics angle.

See, I think I'm an outlier in terms of head/ear shape and size. Comfort factor is almost always a universal complaint, but I can go 3+ hours and have no discomfort on my end.

The Vixen mods are undeniably sweet in comparison. I'd love to own a pair. Alas, perhaps some day!

The soundstage only seems wide, but if you think about the relative position of the instruments, you can't have the cymbals far out to the flanks with the bass drum where the vocalist is, unless the drummer is Reed "Mr Fantastic" Richards. Wearing them slightly forward of the ear canals reduces the harsh splash of the cymbals but it won't really push them closer to the center or farther to the back by much.

Hahah I do love your visual aid. I will readily admit to being a budding audiophile who has probably less of a refined ear vs those who have had the chance to experience more gear in comparison. I'll have to give some time to running through a relisten. The highs can get bright, so I don't doubt that's where the issue is most apparent. With that said, I played symphonic and jazz music for a little over a decade. Grados remind me of being ON the stage vs the experience of being in an audience. I like the perspective they offer. :) Though it's highly dependent on the recording as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back