all round amp for under 300 bucks
Mar 3, 2003 at 12:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

r3cc0s

500+ Head-Fier
for an all around amp for under 300
for a set of grado's
what would you guys suggest?

I currenlty have a TA, old one the AA, and I even liked it more than my old MF amp.

but... I've heard great things about the Cha47 JMT amp that he makes or the Meta42..

as well I've heard pretty good things about the creek and even the ra-1

so what is good?
?
what would be best for like a low impedence phone like my grado's?

Mar 3, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 19
I have one of JMT's CHA47s and it compliments my SR-80s very well. I'd like to try a META with a crossfeed sometime, but I’m not ready to spend the money just yet (although I’m intrigued by the Tangent built META in the classifieds forum for $95).

Mar 3, 2003 at 1:13 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by r3cc0s
for an all around amp for under 300
for a set of grado's
what would you guys suggest?

I currenlty have a TA, old one the AA, and I even liked it more than my old MF amp.

but... I've heard great things about the Cha47 JMT amp that he makes or the Meta42..

as well I've heard pretty good things about the creek and even the ra-1

so what is good?
?
what would be best for like a low impedence phone like my grado's?

You need look no further than a JMT built Meta 42. I have owned both the Total Airhead and the Meier Audio Porta Corda. The Meta is in a different class altogether.
The beauty is you can have the amp customized to suit your headphones.
The finnished product looks very professional and attractive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #5 of 19
" I guess I can get the jacks customized to like rca's to 1/4s?"

If you commission one of the talented gear-heads around here to build one for you, yes you can get it how you want it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #6 of 19
A META42's price really ranges. It's so customizble, you can spend as little as $80 aprox or almost up to $300. Things like crossfeed, gold plated RCA jacks, higher quality materials, the case you choose, all affect the price. $200-$300 for a decent one I'd say. Also depends on who your getting it from.

Mar 3, 2003 at 11:04 PM Post #8 of 19
bda, I think that's the old mg head you are recommending, it would be wiser to go with the mg head otl version, it's worth the extra money for the quality, but currently I'm a little off the asl bandwagon right now, my mg head took a dump over a week ago and getting it diagnosed and fixed is turning into a long and frustrating process including a box having to be sent to canada to have it looked at. however I have read nothing but good things about the new offerings from asl, although I don't know if they fit into your price range???

Mar 4, 2003 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 19
Do NOT use the mg head dt/otl with grados. You will not be happy. As others have said, go with the meta42 or CHA47. If you contact a builder, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to customize one for you.

Mar 4, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #11 of 19
sorry, my bad, I guess I should read closer, the mg head is definitely not a good match with grado's, solid state is the way to go from what I've heard and read, though I've never heard a pair of grado's personally..... so take what I say with a grain of salt...

Mar 4, 2003 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 19
tim, I would tend to agree with that reco!!! I never even thought of it even though I'm using one right now, and I've been happy with it ever since I got it, it's a great value!!!

Mar 4, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 19
I would recommend a META first and foremost to stay below the $300 mark. If you can find an RA-1 used...I don't think any amp really can match it in all areas. Seriously this amp just rocks with Grados.

A used Gilmore would be kickin' as well.

Mar 5, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #15 of 19
would you guys say it's a better bet
to get a nicely built meta 42 for a grado rs-1 than it would be to get perhaps the Ra-1? as I've heard it's a bit grainy and made with pretty low end parts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back