All right, overtime at work so time for a new DAP that's worthwhile
Sep 5, 2011 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

metllicamilitia

100+ Head-Fier
All right, so I listen to everything from Paul Simon to Cradle of Filth if that makes much difference here. I will be using my Phonak Audeo PFE-112's once I get some new tips for 'em. I'm currently using a Sony NWZ-S545 and it's a bunch of crap. It will randomly make weird noises when I unlock it, sometimes the screen won't show and it will just reset itself for no reason and take forever to do it. So I need a good unamped DAP and preferrably one that doesn't need to be Rockboxed, I don't really have the time to learn parametric equalizers between work and band. So something with a simple but good stock EQ would be preferred. Budget I'm not too worried about, but I can't spend $200-$300 on one. I would say around $150USD would be the max unless necessary to go outside of that. I have about 12GB's of music but I would to rerip on my CD's into a lossless format which would greatly increase the amount of space my music takes up. Any help is appreciated and I thank you in advance.

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #2 of 6
I'd go for the Cowon J3 (8GB $175 new Amazon) or Cowon C2 (16GB $155 new Amazon).  The C2 is the new model which is succeeding the D2, but the reviews are a bit mixed:
http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/11/cowon-j3-review/
http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/07/cowon-c2-review/
http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/12/top-5-mp3-players-of-2010/

If you're familiar with Cowon players, there are no surprises with either of these.  Unfortunately iRiver and Sandisk (Sansa) haven't released anything that interesting lately, so Cowon's the only game in town.  The J3 and C2 have great playback out of the box and don't need to be Rockboxed.  If you use microSD, you can opt for a lower internal capacity (J3 8GB) to save $20-30.  Amazon seems to have the lowest price, but I'm sure you could shave another 10-20% off if you hunted around for a bargain.

The DAP community seems to like the J3 the most, but if you need to save that extra $20-30, you could do just as well with the newer, less functional C2.

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #3 of 6
I may go the 16GB C2 with a microSD, I had the D2 back in 2008 but in 2009 the screen cracked which made it a pain to use the screen on the right side. Then it cracked a second time and the right side of the screen was completely useless. It sucked, that was my favorite DAP ever, so I'm always looking into Cowon. Thanks for the input.

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 6
How about a hifiman? The 801 is great if you dont mind parting with the moolah, if not the 601 is still pretty good.

Sep 5, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 6
I have no personal experience with Hifiman DAPs, but their products have gotten savaged on the anythingbutipod forums.  The ABI guys know what they're talking about, and the Hifiman employee who came to defend the HM-801 didn't give a very credible response.
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54879

I have a D2 and it's not my favorite player (due to issues with the filesystem and bad ID3 tags), but the SQ and battery life are awesome, and if I was upgrading, I'd probably go with either the C2 or J3.  I've dropped my D2 on almost every surface imaginable and it has permanent residence in my bookbag, and the screen still works perfectly.  The first thing I did with the D2, though, is to put on a screen protector and buy one of those Asian plastic soft cases, which has probably helped its survivability immensely.  I'd highly recommend investing in a protective case and screen cover for any DAP, as my D2 has been through quite a lot, and has traveled to almost every continent in the world :)  I purchased my D2 right when it came out and it still works perfectly, and the battery still holds an impressive charge.  I'd estimate, fully charged, it gives 20-30 hours easy, but I also have the screen turned down and avoid as much backlighting as possible (display configured to the shortest possible backlight time before the screen goes dark).

Good luck with the purchase.  Sounds like you've got a good handle on DAPs, since you buy Cowon and Sansa.

Edit: Another thread here reminded me of the Cowon S9.  Another great Cowon player, and cheaper than the J3, but it is from the D2 era (2008).  It's pretty similar to the J3, but the J3 has the edge in both performance and features.
http://anythingbutipod.com/2008/12/cowon-iaudio-s9-review/

Sep 5, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #6 of 6
^^ I agree with you. Hifiman may not be what you want if you prefer neutrality as the guys at ABI talk about. However, they have a nice warm lushness to the sound and are packed with detail (especially the 801s). They do have some treble roll-off but imo that is compensated by the thick lush mids and sweet overall intergration of the sound. If neutrality is your priority the sandisk sansa clip+ is a fabulous choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back