All right, need some help, thinking I want a warmer IEM
Jan 19, 2012 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

metllicamilitia

100+ Head-Fier
I've always used mostly cold and anylytical IEM's, or at least set up the EQ that way, I like my guitars and vocals to be a bit above everything else, not much, just enough. I like a good thumping bass too. However, I am at a budget strain at the moment, I need a PMP and new IEM's, I usually dismiss headphones for a few reasons, size, isolation and they literally hurt my ears by pressing them into my glasses. Currently I am using Phonak Audeo PFE-112's, and they never came close to my old Sleek Audio SA6's. I am using some cheap Sony PMP that is just horrible. I have a 5th Gen 30GB iPod Classic I could RockBox, but I'd rather sell it for a new player, preferably something that takes microSD cards (I have a 32GB one to use). 

So, my questions are, naturally, which IEM's and what player.

FACTS
Want a warmer sound
Would rather have good onboard EQ than needing to learn parametric EQ (RockBox)
Small yet durable, both IEM and PMP
Price range $100-$200USD (absolute max)

So any and help is greatly appreciated, when my brain can handle it I really need to learn how to read specs and understand what is best for me on my own. The bulk of the expense would be going to IEM's as well, if anything I'm sure I can find an 8GB Sansa Clip+ pretty cheap, but I would really love another Cowon, I had a D2 a few years back and it was absolutely the best player I had ever used. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 6
So 200 usd for the whole package? C2 is a D2+'s refurbishment. I am not sure about the user interface thought. Its kind of... hmm colorful..
A good solution is buy the bass filters the phonak audeo pfe01x have.. That could give you the extra bass you desire. Are you selling the ones you have? You can get some extra money from them..
Again if you buy the bass filters you could actully affort to buy the cowon J3. Probably the best cowon at the moment and you will spare some cash as well from the $200

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 6
I could try that, one more question then, are bi or tri flange ear tips I could buy for the Phonak's? I much prefer them to single flange or foam (any size foam hurts my ear and falls out after a while).

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 6
Better ask that in the appreciation threat with people who actually tried them. I have the cowon J3 if you want to know anything about it.. ill be lurking in its threat as well.

Btw i guess you insert the foam tips correct? because for me its the best solution for comfort.  you have to compress it before you insert it into your ear so it expands and have a grip in your ear canal..

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #5 of 6
Yes, I always compress foam tips first, but the pressure builds up too much I guess and after a time of wearing them I can't wear them for a couple days. My ears feel almost raw from them. I've even tried to smallest of Comply foams. But speaking of the J3, have you ever used the D2? Just curious as to how it compares.

Jan 19, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Yes, I always compress foam tips first, but the pressure builds up too much I guess and after a time of wearing them I can't wear them for a couple days. My ears feel almost raw from them. I've even tried to smallest of Comply foams. But speaking of the J3, have you ever used the D2? Just curious as to how it compares.

Nope i havent got the chance to try them.. All i know is that i searched and read so many stuff regarding it.. The newer models from Cowon have a small improvement in sound from the old ones.. Following the same steps and featuring the newer version of BBE effects the d2 had. BBE+.

But there are also many options out there. J3 is a nice Dap. wide soundstage, clear sound and good frequency seperation and can easily drive most iems. 
People mention bass roll off seens in frequency graphs and slighlty noticable with high impedance-low sensitivity iems. I havent noticed that since i dont own such iems and i havent anything better to compare it.  Same thing is for all Cowons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back