All-purpose PC headphones
Apr 9, 2006 at 7:21 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
DT770-80: I've only had the 250 ohm version which by all accounts is not that different. It was definitely a very uncouth headphone. Suitable for gaming and 'rough' music, but that's about it for me.

Interesting, as I'd say by most accounts they are very different - I know I didn't like the 770-250 I tried anything like my 80s.

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #19 of 23
I played some Radiohead (OK Computer, the only CD I always test with), Nine Inch Nails (Pretty Hate Machine), Sigur Ros (()
tongue.gif
) and a couple of tracks off a random classical CD that my mate had lying around. Basically, the DT770-250 answered all my questions like "what the hell are these people reviewing the DT770 talking about?". The highs were screechy, the bass was excessive, and the mids were nowhere. The DT770-80 exhibits none of these symptoms, it's a rich, rocking, well-rounded if slightly bass-heavy headphone with an excellent soundstage. I have no problem recommending it to people on a regular basis for gaming/music use, I just tell them to make absolutely sure they're picking up the 80Ω version as the 250Ω is a very different beast.

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #20 of 23
You know, I haven't tried the DT770-250, but I find the 770-80 a good deal less fatiguing than the DT880. Different family yes, but that may help if you've heard the 880. I really don't think the -80 is all that fatiguing at all, and really quite enjoyable for gaming.

If anything its problems are:

Midrange somewhat recessed, but not so much as to destroy the music.
Higher register is somehow colored, the sounds provided don't really bear any distinct timbre of their respective instruments.
Bass can be a tad boomy at times.

But they're damned fun. I think most games were mixed specifically for THIS type of sound, honestly.

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
DT770-80: I've only had the 250 ohm version which by all accounts is not that different. It was definitely a very uncouth headphone. Suitable for gaming and 'rough' music, but that's about it for me.

Define 'rough' music

Apr 15, 2006 at 10:46 AM Post #23 of 23
So...

I've now wired up the audio patchbay so that I can output to the speakers from any of the PC's in my home office. So if I'm by myself, I can listen on any of the PC's. I've also bought a K701, which should be portable from PC to PC as I have more than enough headphone amps to attach to each
biggrin.gif

Therefore I had another think about the kind of use the spare phones would get: Unless friends come over, zero. So the actual purchase I made for when they're around are two of these. They're worth it
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back