All-purpose PC headphones
Apr 9, 2006 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
After a somewhat "AARGH~phew" moment recently when a couple of friends came to game on my LAN, I'm not letting them use my 'good' phones anymore. I'm also not very fond of shifting my headphone set-up around when I want to sit at the other table, so am on the lookout for one or two additional general purpose headphones that I can use while on the other PC's.

I realise this probably means re-visiting one or more phones I've bought, but this is no big deal. I will probably get two different phones.

Prerequisites:
1. Durable. Something that can be whipped off the head and banged straight on a table and otherwise treated in a fairly unrespectful manner without fear of structural damage. i.e. rules out anything from Audio-Technica.
2. Non-dedicated amping. Should be usable straight from the socket of an X-Fi Elite Pro, or any soundcard in general. i.e. rules out 'borderline' low-impedance but very inefficient loads like the K271S, or genuinely hard-to-drive loads like the DT880.
3. Circumaural with decent cavity for the ears to sit fully inside the cups. i.e. rules out K271S for example.
4. Closed or semi-open, ideally in combination with point 3 with a regular pair of ears making no contact with the inside of the earcups.
5. Non-fatiguing sound. i.e. rules out 'old' DT770 (don't know about the 'new')

OK... let the flood of recommendations commence
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 23
oh this is soo easy...HD555/595. Light, comfortable, easy to drive, good-sounding, cheap, durable, open, etc...

HOWEVER, I do not condone the rough treatment of headphones. I don't expect the HD555 or any other headphone to last harsh treatment like you described for more than a few months. They don't leak too much either.

Apr 9, 2006 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 23
hd-201s? maybe if you got smaller ears. Mine will touch on one side based on how i wear them. I dont like having my earlobes touch the pad so i shift it up and works well. It barely touches the top of my ears.

Apr 9, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 23
The HD201's seem to fit your criteria, and best of all are cheap as hell so you can chuck them about without fear of breaking them.

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlienPyro
HD280
DT 250-80

er.. that's the best I can do for now

non-fatiguing, durable, closed circumaurals... I wish.

I thought the HD280 to be incredible uncomfortable after some time of wearing them. I used them as PC cans, meaning for my (already sold) game system as well. And I guess you should consider them being comfy for heavy usage.

Apr 9, 2006 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 23
DT770-80. They were always fine straight out of my Prodigy 7.1LT, and my non-audiophile mates absolutely love their sound signature. Comfy as hell too. At £80 from Digital Village, I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few people were swayed enough to buy themselves a pair. Perfect for gaming and the 80 ohm version is anything but fatiguing.

Apr 9, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 23
It sounds like you are describing the DT770-80s. Durable, fairly easy to drive at 80 Ohms, semi open (IIRC), nice bass, circumaural all fit the bill.

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #12 of 23
Thanks for the comments so far.

DT250: They're comfy for sure, but I've always had a deep ambivalence towards the rather indeterminate sonic character of this phone.
HD280: Under consideration... but ideally even for occasional use I think I'm looking for something with better SQ.
DT770-80: I've only had the 250 ohm version which by all accounts is not that different. It was definitely a very uncouth headphone. Suitable for gaming and 'rough' music, but that's about it for me.
HD201: I wasn't really on the 'these are great!' bandwagon about this. They sound their price... like a cheap mini system. I was MOST impressed by the engineering that went into this product though.
HD555/595: A pair I've NOT owned!
eek.gif
tongue.gif
I'm ideally NOT looking for fully open phones. How non-isolating are these, if you have closed phones to compare?
DR150: Intriguing, never heard of them before, but I am presuming by their price that I would probably want something a tad above in terms of performance... unless these turn out to be some sort of giant killer.

Apart from that the only Ultrasone I've experience of is the HFI-650 and that is under consideration. In terms of sonics, the level of the Ultrasones (and above if poss.) would be more of what I'm looking for.

Apr 9, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
oh this is soo easy...HD555/595. Light, comfortable, easy to drive, good-sounding, cheap, durable, open, etc...

HOWEVER, I do not condone the rough treatment of headphones. I don't expect the HD555 or any other headphone to last harsh treatment like you described for more than a few months. They don't leak too much either.

Yeah, the 555/595 are open. They'd be perfect for his bangraman's purposes if they were closed, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back