All-purpose, fun listening: X2, HE400i or?
Apr 10, 2016 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FindingNewSound

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I want to ask for recommendations on which headphones I should buy for all-purpose, fun listening. At the moment I'm looking at the X2 vs. HE400i, and I'm also considering TH-x00. Any other suggestions are welcome! (not the HD600 or 650 since I can borrow them from a friend).

The price tag should be below $500 btw. 

Cheers

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 7
  Hello,

I want to ask for recommendations on which headphones I should buy for all-purpose, fun listening. At the moment I'm looking at the X2 vs. HE400i, and I'm also considering TH-x00. Any other suggestions are welcome! (not the HD600 or 650 since I can borrow them from a friend).

The price tag should be below $500 btw. 

Cheers

TH-X00 is a very fun headphone. It was the hit of the meet yesterday. Albeit it was thru some pretty good gear but good none the less. Have not heard the 400i yet but have the 400 and 400S . The X2 is a good headphone but I would pick the TH-X00 myself. The choice is yours though. Hope this helps a little.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for your replies!

Yea I have considered the 99 classics but the cups are just too small for me.

I know the thx00 and x2 are incredibly fun, but I also look for something that suits as many types of music as possible. Also, I don't change headphones that often (in fact, very rarely), so I want something that will last.

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 7
I haven't heard the thx00 yet, but have owned both the X2 and 400i twice. Between those two the 400i is in another league compared to the X2. Not as bassy, but the bass, mids and treble are much more refined and the planars ability to image and show details in even complex music is really good.

The 400i is well worth it at $500, even more so if you get them on sale. The X2 is a bit overpriced at $300, but a pretty solid deal when they go on sale for $200.

Having said this, if your idea of a fun headphone is boosted bass, I'd say the 400i may be too neutral for you. In that case, it would be between the X2 and thx00.

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #7 of 7
Thanks.

Well to me fun is lively, with a little bass boost (not necessarily the killer bass of the thx00).

I've been looking at the X2 recently, but I'm really worried about QC. Has anyone tried buying them from amazon uk (or any european seller)? Would love to get some input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back