All power supplies are not the same?
Jan 23, 2006 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Cloudbreak0

100+ Head-Fier
I am wondering very much about the need for a linear regulated power supply for the go-vibe amp that I have. I always thought that when converting 120v to 12v, the voltage spikes wouldnt be excessive, as I have been told that all ac/dc converters are designed to operate, by law, within 5% of their output capacity. I have taken into consideration the fact that this could be a switch mode powersupply which supposedly exhibits a large amount of ultrasonic noise in the process of voltage regulation. I guess I was just wondering, whats the worst that could happen? The circuit can be run off of a 9v battery, and a 12v power supply, so shouldnt any swings in voltage be okay as far as any damage to the amp goes? If this were the case, then nearly everything that you hook up to a 12v power supply would be subject to those same swings which would be equally damaging to them. I want to believe norm (being the designer of the darn thing) on the fact that only this certain type of linear regulated power supply (95B0568) will work, but it still doesnt make sense. Can someone explain this a little clearer?
confused.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 13
Good question as I just ordered a Go-Vibe and want to purchase a power supply. Somebody please explain
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 13
Forgot to add:

Norm says that you must use the Newark 12v power supply. He also stated you must get a 1.2 - 2.3 adapter plug to fit the go-vibe. I assume I can get this at ratshack?

Feb 5, 2006 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 13
Looking at the power supply specs, I'm not sure why he insists this one has to be used... maybe something to do with the jack size? It looks like a very run-of-the-mill 12v wall wart, and the specs aren't even that hot. Lot more ripple than the Elpacs (50mV listed in the specs).

P.S. I used to have an Elpac WM060-1950-760, but it looks like only the 5-pin DIN version is available from Newark.com. Not sure if they discontinued the other one with a regular plug, but if you can find it (and it fits the jack) it would likely be much better than the one Norm referred to.

Feb 5, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
Looking at the power supply specs, I'm not sure why he insists this one has to be used... maybe something to do with the jack size? It looks like a very run-of-the-mill 12v wall wart, and the specs aren't even that hot. Lot more ripple than the Elpacs (50mV listed in the specs).

Not sure, but in his email he also stated that this was the *ONLY* power supply he recommends.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 13
mathesar,

you will need to get a 2.1 x 5.5mm Jack - 1.3 x 3.5mm Plug in order for it to connect with the go-vibe. If you have ordered this did you do it straight from newark? I was unable to find it there.

However Norm did reccommend another power supply from rpelectronics.com. Part # RP-1240R-P for the power supply and Part #310-513 for the adapter plug. The thing is its 5 bucks more here for the power supply.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by phong
mathesar,

you will need to get a 2.1 x 5.5mm Jack - 1.3 x 3.5mm Plug in order for it to connect with the go-vibe. If you have ordered this did you do it straight from newark? I was unable to find it there.

However Norm did reccommend another power supply from rpelectronics.com. Part # RP-1240R-P for the power supply and Part #310-513 for the adapter plug. The thing is its 5 bucks more here for the power supply.

Norm says he included the needed adapter in my package ,so hopefully I wont need to order one.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mathesar
Norm says he included the needed adapter in my package ,so hopefully I wont need to order one.

Lucky guy!
tongue.gif

Feb 6, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #10 of 13
The simple answer for a power supply suitable for the go-vibe is it must be Linear Regulated and no more than 12v DC.
Any non-regulated PS will exibit widely fluctuating voltage which is hardly conducive to consistent sound quality, not to mention the spikes which are well over 12vDC.
A switch mode regulated power supply exibits too much ultrasonic noise for use in a high quality headphone amp.
This leaves us with a Linear Regulated power supply, and in the 12v rating, there are only three I know of here in North America.
1) The Elpac, Fewtch mentioned above - but it's 3 times the price and not worth it in this case.
2) The SPC model I recommend from Newark p/n 95B0568
3) The Circuit Test model from RP Electronics p/n RP-1240R-P
The adapter you will require is a 2.1mm - 1.3mm which may be available from Radio Shack but I know it is available from RP Electronics p/n 310-513

Feb 6, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 13
Hmmm... are regulated PSUs really that rare in US? Here they seem to sell those in every supermarket under brands like Vivanco and Hama.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back