"All-nighters" are heinous!
Apr 13, 2005 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

BANGPOD

1000+ Head-Fier
Head-Fi'ers --

I find that I am "pulling an all-nighter" at least once per week...
I even do all of my homework and studying as it is assigned to me!

But, STILL I must stay up through the night to finish all of my work!

When was the last time that you "pulled an all-nighter?"
Do any of you have an interesting story attached to yours?

College is intense...

BANGPOD

Apr 13, 2005 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 49
I'm up all night right now to finish my work and chores before a long trip. It sucks.

I used to pull all nighters all the time in graduate school. However, the amount of quality time spent on projects dramatically decreased as the night wore into the day -- it was always a mixed bag to stay up all night.

In college, there were plenty of late nights, but mostly for fun. On ocassion I'd take the computer into the hall and type all night.

Apr 13, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 49
Last time I pulled all nighters was when I did my Computer Engineering design course a year ago. No, scratch that, I did all nighters at my job over the summer. We needed to have the project ready for a demo and were spending as much time as physically possible that last week to pull it off. I rarely pull all nighters since they're usually more detrimental than helpful. Instead I just wake up early and start working again. I do my best thinking on a problem in the morning after I've had a chance to sleep on it.

Apr 13, 2005 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 49
Staying up two days in a row is not too bad... you'll get a second wind eventually and will sleep a little longer the next night. I wouldnt recommend 3+ days in a row though... thats when the hallucinations start.
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 49
I feel severely physically ill if I stay up all night. The last time I did it was 10 years ago, in grad school. Never again if I can help it!

Apr 13, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 49
I'm pulling an all nighter right now. The funny thing is that I didn't even have any homework to do or anything. I just took a nap yesterday afternoon that ended up being too long. It kept me up all night. I'm starting to get tired now... but I have class in an hour
frown.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
Staying up two days in a row is not too bad... you'll get a second wind eventually and will sleep a little longer the next night. I wouldnt recommend 3+ days in a row though... thats when the hallucinations start.
biggrin.gif

Yup, I've had the hallucinations before - but it was several days of few hours and then one all nighter. You see little things in the corner of your eye move - ie crumbs and bits of paper start to crawl and when you look at them they stop. Its quite wacky - cool to try once but not all that pleasant.

Passage of time seems distorted as well; some periods of inactivity during waking hours may seem to disappear with no recollection of what happened. I think it was the beginning of falling asleep where the mind begins to disconnect from the senses but not fully there yet. I remember looking at my watch, and what seemed like 30 seconds later was actually 2 or 3 minutes!

Apr 13, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
I've pulled all nighters in college before too.... but it was never school related.
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif
icon10.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL. I did the same thing. It definitely took more than schoolwork to get me to miss my sleep!

Apr 13, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by dffman2001
Yup, I've had the hallucinations before - but it was several days of few hours and then one all nighter. You see little things in the corner of your eye move - ie crumbs and bits of paper start to crawl and when you look at them they stop. Its quite wacky - cool to try once but not all that pleasant.

hehe... yeah, that is how it starts.

I used to go without sleep quite a bit when I was younger, but I've found that a good 7-8 hrs is a lot more healthy for me.
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 4:56 PM Post #11 of 49
No all academic all-nighters this semester, but I used to do 4-5 a semester to study before tests mainly. I actually fell asleep in a calculus exam last spring after an all nighter. I got the grade, so I suppose it was worth it.

Apr 13, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 49
It's been quite awhile since I've pulled an alnighter, almost 20 yrs ago. I can honestly say it's something that I don't miss. I think the stress of it for me could have been lessened if I hadn't procrastinated in getting an early start on my projects.

Apr 13, 2005 at 5:00 PM Post #13 of 49
It's been years since I pulled a true all-nighter.

I was working on an IPO with a tight deadline. Myself and the tax partner found out on a Thursday morning that we had to submit certain information by Friday @ 3PM. We started at 9AM Thursday and finished Friday around 2PM. We successfully submitted out work, cleaned up the papers, and then I had to go home and be a normal father and take the family to a play we already had tickets for. Needless to say, I was so over-tired that I actually didn't get to bed until 4AM Saturday morning.

More recently, I woke up 5AM to go to work, then left for Las Vegas at 5PM EST. I wasn't settled in the hotel room until effectively 6:30AM EST the next morning. Got 5 hours sleep, then hit the strip.

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #14 of 49
I'm only in high school, but I have never had to do an all-nighter because of work. I have certainly been working until two, three, and on two occasions four, and then after that I sometimes just finish the night by reading a book or listening to music because I don't feel like gaining to sleep. It's kind of weird since I always get really tired, and if I got into bed I would be able to fall asleep, but I just don't feel like it for some reason.

Apr 13, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #15 of 49
Yeah theyre a pain... For my senior project we modified a GPS software package to include a layer for electric vehicle chagring stations. We were tasked with developing an in-car system for electric cars that would allow the driver to locate & provide directions to charging facilities.

This was back in 1994 when GPS was not a standard feature in every day life, and here in the US the Saturn was the only electric car on the market. It was really cool... on the edge of 2 breaking technologies. The internet boom was a big help in our research.

All nighters were way too common.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back