All new gear?
Jun 9, 2013 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AfterShock

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones, a new music player, and maybe an amp?

Headphones:
  1. What's your budget?
           Under $250
  1. Where/how do you plan on using these can?
           Home mainly
  1. What are your isolation needs? Open or closed cans?
           I'd prefer closed or semi, but if need be, I can deal with open.
  1. What kind of music do you listen to and what's the format/bit rate?
           Mainly classic rock/metal(Hard, progressive, traditional, etc...) at 320.
  1. What source device will it be coming from and what amp, if any, will you be using?
           Computer, Galaxy Player 5, and which ever music player I buy(see below).
  1. Do you know what kind of signature you're trying to find?
           Something but decent but not overpowering bass, no harsh treble, and good mids for vocals.
  1. Anything else specific you're looking for?
           Something sturdy and comfortable.
           Decent soundstage and positional cues(for games?)

Never owned anything besides earbuds and the stock earphones that came with my Galaxy Player 5.

I've been considering the A900X or DT770, but the fact that the DT770 has recessed mids is a turn off.
I've found so little information on the A900X so some input would be nice.

[size=10pt] Music Player:[/size]
  1. [size=10pt] Capacity: What size player do you need? Many come 2, 4, 6, 8, 16, 32GB or larger, these are mainly flash memory players but there are hard drive players that are larger. Also some of the flash memory players come with an expansion slot for a microSD card for expansion. Try to be clear what your needs are ...[/size]
[size=10pt]          4-8GB with micro SD slot, 16 without.[/size]
  1. [size=10pt] Budget: The price you are willing to invest, minimum to maximum spend.[/size]
[size=10pt]          Around $100[/size]
  1. [size=10pt] Use: What is the main intended use? Commuting, working out, traveling, audiobooks, watching video, etc.[/size]
[size=10pt]          General music listening while home or out.[/size]
  1. [size=10pt] Type/Design: DAP (digital audio player, more focused on music or no video at all), PMP (portable media player, more focused on video)[/size]
[size=10pt]          DAP[/size]
  1. [size=10pt] Features: Gapless, MSC/MTP, EQ, sound enhancements, USB host, text reader, FM radio tuner, video, games, Bluetooth, internet, a built-in microphone or line input for recording, built in speaker, etc., etc, etc. …[/size]
[size=10pt]          FM, gapless, Drag and drop[/size]
  1. [size=10pt] Display: Display or no display and rough size[/size]
[size=10pt]          Doesn't matter[/size]
  1. [size=10pt] UI/Controls: User interface with tactical buttons, touch or combination of both[/size]
[size=10pt]          Tactile[/size]
  1. [size=10pt] Battery life: Some players don't have great battery life, how long will you need before recharging?[/size]
[size=10pt]          6-10 hours would be nice[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] I own a Sansa Fuze(original), but recently the left ear stopped working so I'm in the market for a new player.[/size]
[size=10pt] I was considering the Clip+ or Zip, but I'm wondering if they have any mayor flaws?[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] From owning and reading about the Fuze it seems common problems are gaps in the casing from the top and sides and the problem I mentioned above about the left ear.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] DAC/Amp/Sound Card?:[/size]
[size=10pt] I'm new to all this so I need some explaining on these.[/size]
[size=10pt]  [/size]
[size=10pt] What are the differences between them?[/size]
[size=10pt] Could a DAC/Amp replace a sound card?[/size]
[size=10pt] Difference between being portable? Are they the same just less powerful? [/size]

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 12
Beyer DT-250 headphones. 250 ohm if you think your player will push it. It won't remind you of the DT770 much, if that's your worry.

I drive mine with a stereo receiver, and they have plenty of juice. (I had a headamp GS-1 and an M^3 previously, saw no need to keep them once I heard my Beyers out of my Yamaha). I listen to similar music as you, and they work great with garage rock and electronic music, too. YMMV, but I liked my Beyers enough to let go of several other (then) flagship headphones.

I have no suggestions on player; I just use my phone when I'm not at home or in my office, and listening on the go is pretty rare these days.

A DAC/AMP can certainly replace a sound card, and you can really go down the rabbit hole here. Is your $250 your total budget for everything, or just for headphones? There are a number of USB audio interfaces (think amateur home recording) that will get you a decent DAC and maybe an acceptable headphone amp for $100-$200.

I think I spent around $500 or $600 for my Beyers, 0404 USB, and Yamaha receiver (plus the Yamaha can drive almost any speaker I could possibly desire to place on my desk).

As a parting thought: I'd suggest you give up on the idea of having closed cans be portable. You can transport them easily, but they really suck for isolation when out and about. 10db just isn't that much; you'll have much better luck with IEMs. Really, if you can I'd suggest making the portable listening a whole separate ball of wax - something cheap (so if it gets rained on, dropped, etc, you won't have a fit) and small, like a shuffle or non-apple analogue and some sub-$100 IEMS.

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
Beyer DT-250 headphones. 250 ohm if you think your player will push it. It won't remind you of the DT770 much, if that's your worry.

I drive mine with a stereo receiver, and they have plenty of juice. (I had a headamp GS-1 and an M^3 previously, saw no need to keep them once I heard my Beyers out of my Yamaha). I listen to similar music as you, and they work great with garage rock and electronic music, too. YMMV, but I liked my Beyers enough to let go of several other (then) flagship headphones.

I have no suggestions on player; I just use my phone when I'm not at home or in my office, and listening on the go is pretty rare these days.

A DAC/AMP can certainly replace a sound card, and you can really go down the rabbit hole here. Is your $250 your total budget for everything, or just for headphones? There are a number of USB audio interfaces (think amateur home recording) that will get you a decent DAC and maybe an acceptable headphone amp for $100-$200.

I think I spent around $500 or $600 for my Beyers, 0404 USB, and Yamaha receiver (plus the Yamaha can drive almost any speaker I could possibly desire to place on my desk).

As a parting thought: I'd suggest you give up on the idea of having closed cans be portable. You can transport them easily, but they really suck for isolation when out and about. 10db just isn't that much; you'll have much better luck with IEMs. Really, if you can I'd suggest making the portable listening a whole separate ball of wax - something cheap (so if it gets rained on, dropped, etc, you won't have a fit) and small, like a shuffle or non-apple analogue and some sub-$100 IEMS.

I should have been more specific on that.

For the headphones under or around $250.
If I go for the clip+/zip it would be around $30-60.
Amp under or around $100? I know next to nothing on amps.

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #4 of 12
Headphones, Ultrasone Pro750.
i think a fuze with Rockbox will be more than enough, and a fiio portable dac/amp. (E12?)

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Bumping
Need some user input for the Sony MDR 1R.

its bassy, mids and treble are unimpressive for rock. One of my friends who is mostly into rock says it has good instrumentation but vocals get drowned out. Its not refined enough for asking price imo

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #10 of 12
For the player, look into Cowon. They have a range of different players but I am getting the D2. The iAUDIO 10 might be more in your price range.

I own a D2. I stopped using it after I got my Clip+ and rockboxed it. I think the SQ is a little better. And I hated the UI on the D2.

I haven't heard the Sony MDR-1R. But they have been nicely reviewed and are on Innerfidelity's Wall of Fame: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed

Personally, for all kinds of rock, I much prefer Grados than anything else in your price range. Grados are very popular for the genres you list. I even like the SR80i ($100) better. But they would be a poor choice for commuting or traveling. For that, you are much better off with a closed headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back