All Naxos on sale at Arkiv Music (recommendations?)
Jun 9, 2005 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rcgrant

Head-Fier
ArkivMusic.com is having a sale on all of their Naxos CDs. Most of them are $6, I think.

That said, I need some help from the experts here so I know what to order
biggrin.gif
Which Naxos recordings are particularly good?

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 7
-The Robert Craft edition: Schoenberg, Stravinsky, Webern, etc.
- Schenck: Le Nimphe di Rheno (viola da gamba - Lex voix humaines) vol. I and II (Marvellous!!!)
- In the edition Spanish Classics there are a lot of fine cds. One fantastic orchestra it's Castille and León Symphony Orchestra. You can get discs of Rodrigo (besides his Aranjuez Concerto). His Concerto in modo galante for Cello it's a small 'diamond'.
-Of Messiaen i like the discs of Hakon Austbo
-Of Shostakovich the preludes for piano / Sherbakov.
- Haydn fine quartets by Kodaly Quartet (discs of Op.64 and op. 76)

By the way, in Spain Naxos Discs costs 5.95 € always and at offer you can get them at 4.50 €. One thing we can get cheaper than in the rest of countries
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 7
It's hard to go wrong with them. Naxos has earned a reputation as a super-high-quality budget label, and has pushed the envelope with recordings of little-known works.

I like the "American Classics" series, especially works by Hanson, Creston, Flagello, Diamond, Hovhaness, etc. Also, cehck out the Ralph Vaughan Williams Symphonia Antarctica (sp?), supposedly one of the best digital recordings ever made!

Jun 9, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #6 of 7
New York Jazz Collective: I Don't Know This World Without Don Cherry and Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven
Mike Nock/Marty Ehrlich: Waiting Game

"I Don't Know This World" is especially recommended for the stellar writing and for the appearance of trumpeter Baikida Carroll.

NGF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back