All my solder points turn grey and dull!
Sep 23, 2008 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

steinba

100+ Head-Fier
I admit that I'm a total noob. All my solder ponts go grey and dull as they cool off. Nothing like the shiny ones my more savvy friend manages.

I try to take care to make everything still and steady while soldering. I have problems with it, but I also try to heat the component leads and to melt the solder on those, and not on the solder pen tip.

I guess I can't blame the equipment either, so HELP! What am I doing wrong? Do I need to reflow everything until it'snice and shiny, or can my lackluster handywork still be OK?

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your solder happens to be lead-free, dullness is normal, have you checked that ?

When you mention it; one of these rolls might just be. It's AIM Solder SAC305/Glow Core.

Is that bad?

Sep 23, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 17
My other stuff is also lead free, it seems. 99.3% tin and 0.7% copper.

Yeah. I noticed that it took a long time to melt.

I'm gonna leave it as it is, then, and hope the training projects (a crossfeed and a TREAD) work, even though the joints look cold.

Better get some 63/37 percent, then.

Sep 24, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your solder happens to be lead-free, dullness is normal, have you checked that ?

well, unless you get one of the metalurgies that turns black.

Sep 24, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 17
Fixed
wink.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 8:39 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by steinba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah! No wonder it's expensive, huh!
wink.gif

Sorry. I'll edit it.

Yep, ditch the nasty lead-free emo stuff. I produces nasty-looking fillets and never wets as well as the leaded variety. I inspect electronic components for a living and the top-shelf stuff (military, medical, etc) always use leaded solder, because it's better.

Sep 25, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 17
Either of those work fine, I believe it is what I use. Unless you are ordering stuff from mouser or digikey anyway, check marketek, I think I paid 16 dollars instead of 30 there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back