All music lovers should take a look.
Jul 30, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #181 of 212
Another simple physics explanation:
Why do fluorescent colors seem so much brighter than their regular counterparts?  Simple answer: They reflect back ultraviolet light waves which, although outside of the visible spectrum, make the colors appear more intense and thus they stick out more.

Same with playing ultrasonic sounds.  Get a signal generator and hook it up to a power amp (presumably already connected to speakers and with a +/- 3dB range up to 2MHz).  Now play a 30kHz waveform.  If you have tweeters that can reproduce this sound, you won't hear it.  But when I did this, I found myself feeling mentally stressed and slightly sweating.  If you're brave, change the 30kHz waveform to a 16kHz waveform and blast yourself with that (might damage your hearing, don't say I haven't warned you).  Same sensation.

Of course, with CD's and other media that is limited to 44.1kHz sampling, you're really only gonna get somewhat decent extension to around 22kHz, so ultrasonics aren't actually going to be part of the music, but instead introduced by signal processing.

Jul 30, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #182 of 212
Your physics regarding fluorescent colors are wrong. All colors (except black) reflect ultraviolet light. Fluorescent colors work by absorbing photons in the ultraviolet range and emitting photons in the visible range.

I wouldn't know how high frequency wave above our hearing range affect us, but I would like to see some scientific approach to that theory...

Jul 30, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #183 of 212
With all due respect, 20Hz and higher, is a bit of a stretch in regard to normal human emotions and causing an emotional impact in regard to listening to a recorded piece of music.

Jul 31, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #185 of 212

Quote:
Hmmm, I guess as a beggining head-fier, I will save plenty of money due to this thread. 

Excellent. Better to have more headphones than fancy cables IMHO. So you wont save any money after all.........
wink_face.gif

Jul 31, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #186 of 212
Quote:
Your physics regarding fluorescent colors are wrong. All colors (except black) reflect ultraviolet light. Fluorescent colors work by absorbing photons in the ultraviolet range and emitting photons in the visible range.

I wouldn't know how high frequency wave above our hearing range affect us, but I would like to see some scientific approach to that theory...

Oh! It's been a while since high school physics :frowning2:.  Embarassing...

Regardless, the high frequency tests are my physical reactions.  It would be neat to have a high school kid somewhere do a science fair project on human reactions to HF tones.  I can't point you to any credible tests off the top of my head though.  But you should try it yourself!

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #187 of 212
Prog Rock Man wrote:

Excellent. Better to have more headphones than fancy cables IMHO.

You can only use one set at a time and if you have a decent set of cans, why would you need more?

???

I've given extra sets of headphones away to family members who would benefit from their abilities.  Although they were of a quality nature, they don't come up to the HD-650 standard.  I have an ATH AD700 set I keep in reserve, just in case the HD-650's quit working but the backup set "never" get used other than to gather dust.  Maybe I should put them in the HD-650 box so they can feel important.

Just like you anti-cable folks don't understand our need for quality cables, I don't understand folks need for a headphone collection.

So you wont save any money after all.........
wink_face.gif

Agreed, no matter how you look at it, it's still spending money on a hobby.  See, we can agree on something.

biggrin.gif

(And no, I never want to listen to a HD-800 cause I can't afford to pay for the headphones and necessary complimentary DAC, cables and balanced amping, let alone the added expense of another headphone cable.)

(Sobs inconsolably in the background; mic and camera turned off.)

ph34r.gif

(Where's that whistling emoticon when you need one?)

atsmile.gif

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #188 of 212
My multiple headphones consist of

- open backed when I am alone for prog/jazz/mellow - AKG K702

- open backed when I am alone for rock - Grado SR80

- closed backed for when others are in the room - AKG K44

- small portable - Sennheiser PX200

- away for the holidays and if noise reduction is needed  - Goldring NS1000

- my collection of vintage headphones, mainly AKG and 1970s Japanese, because I like the design.

They sound different from each other, do different jobs and have far more use than a fancy looking cable hidden away behind my hifi.

Jul 31, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #189 of 212
Even as someone who doesn't find the need for having headphones with different sound signatures (I do get it, I just don't feel the need for it), I find the need to at the very least have one pair of open cans for home listening and a pair of IEMs for... just about everything else.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #190 of 212
Over the years on interconnects -

1 - free unbranded with the kit

2 - QED about £20

3 - Kimber attenuated about £50

5 - free branded Choseal with the kit

6 - SHB £18

7 - DIY, so the actual cost taking into account everything I bought to make it £60.

Total - £148

On my headphone collection (the vintage ones in my profile) I have spent about the same, £140. I really perceive the headphone collection to have more actual value in terms of use. My DIY cable was the most expensive, but also the most fun and satisfying. Cables using the same parts can be bought on ebay starting at £10 for 0.5m.

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #191 of 212
I am willing to send over the Audioquest Cheetah, solid silver, with battery powered shielding for this test - but you must guide me on how to post internationally, I do not know about these things.

In my experience and opinion - these interconnects - I should be able to differentiate it blind.  However I am unwilling to go at it alone as I cannot handle this kind of stress.

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #192 of 212

Quote:
I am willing to send over the Audioquest Cheetah, solid silver, with battery powered shielding for this test - but you must guide me on how to post internationally, I do not know about these things.

In my experience and opinion - these interconnects - I should be able to differentiate it blind.  However I am unwilling to go at it alone as I cannot handle this kind of stress.

Did you mean to post this in the wire testing measurements thread or did I miss something in this thread of someone proposing to do a test?

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #193 of 212
Sorry, I did indeed post it in the wrong thread.  I shall rectify that.  Thanks.

Jul 31, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #194 of 212
Prog Rock Man wrote:

My multiple headphones consist of...

Have you ever had a chance to let a set of HD-650's entertain you?

???

I'm currently listening to an album by a southern rock band called Alabama at a listening level of 5/100.  Highs are sweet and smooth.  The bass is tight and controlled, the sibilance of the snares is pronounced, fading when it should, all the while the sound field is wide and the instruments are well separated.

(And I'm sure the addition of the pending headphone cables will add greatly to the low volume listening experience.)

j/k

(Need that whistling emoticon again)

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #195 of 212
No, my biggest audio gap is never having heard any high end headphones. Even though where I live has a very good supply of hifi shops, none stock high end. I would be loathed to ask one to get me something I have no intention (money) of getting at the moment. However, I have a ready supply of auditionable mid to low end headphones, so I have gone the route of multi ownership as opposed to one high end. Then there is my vintage collection.

I don't worry that I am missing out as one day I will have the spare cash and will own something special, the K1000 being top of the wish list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back