All in one USB DAC + headphone amp for under $200
Jan 25, 2012 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

tomasg

New Head-Fier
I know the budget is extremely tight for a USB DAC + headphone amp, but I'll have to deal with it somehow. My work is 8 hours a day by the laptop in the office, where I could listen for music almost all the time. I want something better than Realtek integrated audio in my laptop, so I need an USB DAC + headphone amp for my headphones (currently own AKG K240 and B&O U70 orthodynamics). It would be perfect if the dac had coaxial or optical out too to connect to squeezebox at home, but I could live without that. Could I get a nice sounding dac/amp for my headphones for $100-$150 (max to $200)? It could be used or new, everything that I could get in Europe (ebay helps :) ). Any suggestions?

Jan 25, 2012 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 38
I can definately recommend the uDAC2, which is what I use in the office and small enough to take home to slot between my Netbook Server and Amps.

USB Input and RCA and Coaxial out an takes 96kHz 24 Bit files as well as 44.1kHz 16 Bit. 

I use mine with Grado SR80i and AKG K271 MkII and I have also used with Denon AHD-2000's when I had those.

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stv014 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would avoid the uDAC2, it is technically not very good for the price.

And that's based on what?? I have no problem with mine either as a headphone amp or pure DAC connected into my Caspian Pre and Power Combination. The new ones have an upgraded volume and amp section.....I think for the price it's a pretty cracking option.

However that's just my opinion 

Jan 25, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And that's based on what??

Search for "nuforce udac2 drama".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The new ones have an upgraded volume and amp section.....

Is there a newer version since the above review, or do you just refer to the version 2 upgrade ? In any case, unless a significant upgrade really exists, the similarly priced FiiO E17 is a better choice overall.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #10 of 38
Udac 2 sounds interesting, but I'm a bit scared of power from USB. I think at least it should need a little tweak - decent 5V power adapter. But could be an option. Fiio idea is nice too, and components are good, but all the unnecessary stuff like lcd, equalizer (could it be simply bypassed?), sleep. I like the simplicity, like my Musical Fidelity A1 amp (has inputs, volume pot ant outputs - minimalistic, but simply enough). What about sound quality between these two?

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #13 of 38
Quote:
I have been looking for pretty much the same product as you.
I have narrowed it down to two options:
Aune X1
Here are two reviews: Rock Grotto and Hoved-Fi.dk (danish).
Topping D2
Reviews are more scarce for this one, but technically it looks like it will perform very well.

Is there any info on the internals?  opamps?  etc?

I'm curious as to why you'd rather go this over the E9?

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #14 of 38
Is there any info on the internals?  opamps?  etc?

I'm curious as to why you'd rather go this over the E9?

I don't need a iPod dock connector and I want multiple digital inputs and an analog input.. Plus I like the looks of both of my choices over the Fiio (super important for audio components :D). I also really want a line output to send to a stereo, amp, or dedicated headphone amp down the road.

Aune X1 Internals:
USB DAC: WM8805+PCM1793
Amp Pretty Standard: BB OPA2134 + TIP41/42 Buffers

Topping D2 Internals:
USB DAC: DIR9001+AD1852
Amp and Line Out: OPA2134 + OP275 + Toshiba C3421 + A1358 Buffers

I don't know the differences between the two designs or the sound signature of ADI vs BB, so please let me know which you think is the better solution.

Jan 27, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #15 of 38
I think the Aune looks like a good option. I am trying to find the same thing, and there aren't that many that I want on my desk in the middle of my living room (without taking the whole desk) but this one looks like it fits the bill well.

Anyone have experience with the Aune?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back