All in one PC:Advice appreciated.
May 11, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Please dont throw your money on an Alienware...
rolleyes.gif

Definitely agreed. If anything, look at the parts alienware shoves in their boxes and go buy it all from Newegg. I also agree with DMOS, building your own computer is really quite easy, I even taught my girlfriend AND MY MOM how it all goes together. There are many helpful guides on how to do so, and there is always helpful members at Head-fi that are more than willing to tell you what's next.

Go for it man!!!
biggrin.gif

Good luck

Also, you mentioned something about the PSU. I've got some PSU's that are switching, you flip this little red switch to go from 115v to 230v.

May 11, 2005 at 4:26 AM Post #17 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajt976
Definitely agreed. If anything, look at the parts alienware shoves in their boxes and go buy it all from Newegg. I also agree with DMOS, building your own computer is really quite easy, I even taught my girlfriend AND MY MOM how it all goes together. There are many helpful guides on how to do so, and there is always helpful members at Head-fi that are more than willing to tell you what's next.

Go for it man!!!
biggrin.gif

Good luck

Also, you mentioned something about the PSU. I've got some PSU's that are switching, you flip this little red switch to go from 115v to 230v.

Is there a link I can read up on about building your own computer. You do realise I don't have any tools for this!!!!

May 11, 2005 at 4:31 AM Post #18 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Is there a link I can read up on about building your own computer. You do realise I don't have any tools for this!!!!

Here's the results of a quick first page Google. It gives a pretty good run down on how to go about it. And as far as tools go, all I really needed was some a good screwdriver set and a couple of smaller "precision" screw drivers. I usually buy all my parts from www.newegg.com, they have a great selection of parts plus good prices. I've built 3 computers using most all parts from them. It's really easy, and it's REALLY fun to do. And on top of all that, you get some great experiencel.
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #19 of 78
First thing is first dudes. I need a monitor and quickish my laptop monitor will go before the laptop. 19 inch tft. Needs a d-sub input for the time being and then hopefully when the computer is up and running I will switch over to dvi-d. Needs to work in the UK which has 220v. Any recommendations. I have always like iiyama but if somebody can offer a better screen then it would be much appreciated.

May 11, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #20 of 78
Building a computer is really easy nowadays. I think the only part that new DIY'ers have a problem is with is plugging the power, hd led, rst switch and the buttons for them. It is very easy to do nowadays, almost everything on the comp will set itself. I would avoid that Alienware, it looks horrible and they are most likely going to use really cheap parts. A custom built pc is always better because you have quality control. What the manufacturers usually do is advertise all their brand name parts and hide all their bad ones. I notice this on most of the big company (Dell, Alienware) computers. Another downside to buying Alienwares is there is no overclocking or modding capabilities, its basically like having a computer governor that doesnt let you do things to your bios where the true potential of a custom computer lies. They try to make up by giving you tech support and making you pay extra for an "extended warranty" Not to mention that they also jack up the prices like hell, that Aurora 7500 probably has extremely cheap ram and is slow. They also try to impress you by offering 2 gigs which is actually slower than 1 gig for gaming purposes. (Heck, even the 3dmark05 world record holder uses 256x2 ram
rolleyes.gif
)

Well, thats my overly long writeup on how much better a custom computer is. I would really recommend finding someone that can help you build a good quality custom pc. If you can't find someone to help you, I wouldn't mind ordering parts from Newegg, putting it together, and then shipping it to your place in the UK. Actually, you can build an FX-55 system for 3200 with parts that would make your pants fly off.

FX-55 ($829)
DFI NF4-SLI Mobo ($220)
G.Skill TCCD Samsung 512x2 RAM ($500)
(2) WD Raptor 74gig 10,000RPM Drives ($285)
Silverstone SST-TJ03 Case ($272)
OCZ Powerstream 600W PSU ($211)
(2) eVGA 6800 Ultras ($858)
---------------------------------------------------
TOTAL: $3175.00

May 11, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #21 of 78
A phillips head screw driver is all you need. Everything uses one size screw now and every part you buy will have extra screws. I have around a hundred that I've never used.

Assuming you'll use the same case, keyboard and mouse, I suggest:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ - it's based on the 90nm Venice core, which is better in every way than it's 130nm predecessor. It's not available in a 4000+ variant yet, but considering how much less heat it generates and the improved strained silicon technology used, you can easily overclock it to higher speeds than the 130nm 4000+ would ever reach.

Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe - it won't overclock as far as it's DFI rival, but the DFI bios is kinda fiddly and you have to be willing to work at things quite a bit to extract that extra speed to really run significantly faster than the ASUS. If you go the DFI route and really seriously overclock it, be prepared to spend lots of time resetting the bios every time you change a setting that doesn't agree with the rest.

Memory: 1GB PQI Turbo PC3200 RAM - it's TCCD based and I can hit 300mhz at 3-4-4-10 if I rachet down my CPU multiplier. You can do up to 250mhz at 2-3-3-10, which should be plenty. You could spend more on Corsair or OCZ RAM, but they're all the same Samsung modules repackaged.

OS Drive: Western Digital 73GB Raptor - it's fast as hell for boot times and games, faster than the best 15k SCSI drives. Unless you plan on running your rig as a server too, I see no reason to waste money on SCSI drives and controllers. For home use it's the fastest drive out there. This is the newer SATA 150 model.

Storage (prawn) Drive: Western Digital 300GB Caviar WD3000JB - it's big, reasonably priced and it's very quiet. One of the quietest drives you can buy. I've got the 200GB version and it's damn near silent. I've got my case door off too.

Power Supply: Seasonic S12-600 600W PSU - I was going to link the 500W version, but this is only a little bit more and its in stock (the 500W isn't). I've got the 430W version (I don't have an A64 or the potential for SLI) and it's extremely quiet. The Active Power Factor Control makes it extremely efficient, part of the reason why it runs so cool and rarely ever speeds up the 120mm fan. Silent PC Review says it's the quietest PSU ever. Build quality is also excellent. It will auto adjust between 110v and 230v so you don't have to worry about which continent you're on.

GPU: eVGA 6800GT 256MB PCI-E card - It's eVGA so it's good quality. It's the 256MB model and the 6800GT can easily hit Ultra speeds so there's no reason to waste money on a more expensive version of the same card. Except bragging rights maybe. But money is better spend elsewhere. Maybe put it towards another card in another six months or so and run it SLI.

CD/DVD-RW drive: Plextor 16x DVD-RW drive - the best 16x drive on the market. Considerably more expensive than the NEC ND-3520A 16x DVD-RW drive, but it IS the best. It is only a little bit better than the NEC though. I'd personally go with the NEC and save $60. There's no real advantage to the Plextor drive, I just included it because it is technically the best.

Heatsink: Thermalright XP-90C - the best there is. Granted only marginally better than mostly aluminum XP-90 and $20 more expensive, but it IS the best. You'll need a fan, and this one is pretty good. Ideally you'd use a 92mm fan but there just isn't much selection in that size. This 80mm fan is variable speed so you can turn it up when you're encoding videos or playing games and turn it down when you're watching movies or listening to music. It can go all the way down to 1300rpm, which is probably too slow for a hot processor like an A64, but it can also get up to 72cfm at 5500rpm. So you've got plenty of range there. If you want to go the quiet route, Zalman makes a very nice 120mm heatsink . Not quite as high performance as the XP-90C, but very quiet and the fan is included along with a Fan Mate 2 fan controller.

Sound Card: M-Audio Revolution 5.1 - it's not an E-Mu card in terms of unadultered audio fidelity, but E-Mu cards don't do games. In terms of performance, the M-Audio card uses slightly more CPU cycles than an Audigy 2 when it comes to games, but the sound quality is considerably better, especially for music and movies. You may want to upgrade this fall when Creative releases their new X-Fi cards. They're supposed to be enormously powerful compared to the currenty Audigy cards. We'll have to see, but it can't be too bad since E-Mu designed the chip that's going to go in it and will also release their own variants later on. For now, the best gaming card is the Revolution 5.1. It's got optical out so you can hook it up to your receiver for surround goodness.

Case: Lian Li PC-6070A Aluminum case - it's light, it's quiet, it's well built and it's not hideous. It should blend in pretty well with the other electronics in your living room. I'm not a fan of Lian Li cases because they're frequently ugly, but this one is alright. It's the door on the front that does it. I think I probably should have gotten this case instead of my current Cooler Master. Silverstone makes good quality aluminum cases too, but they're kinda ugly.

Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3100 - it's Logitech's wireless keyboard and an MX1000 mouse bundled together. Mice don't get much better than the MX1000, except for the Razor Diamondback or the MX518, but they're corded so they don't count. The response is much better than just about any other optical mouse and it's got an integrated lithium battery that recharges on it's dock. The keyboard uses 2 AAs but you can pick up an Energizer recharger that comes with AAs and just swap 'em every month or two.

This only brings you to about $2100. What more can you waste your money on? Another graphics card to do SLI will raise it to $2450 and another 1GB of RAM will bump it up to $2700. That leaves $800 in your pocket and nothing else to upgrade. Maybe put it towards the next generation of video cards when the come out in another six months or so. Because you know they'll be twice as fast as the fastest we have now, just like the last generation.

While NewEgg doesn't do international orders, you should be able to find all of this stuff in Europe pretty easily, because it's all popular hardware. Top brands and all. It may run you a bit more, but you've got some headroom, right?

As for that monitor, may I suggest this: Hyundai L90D+ 19" 8ms LCD or this: Samsung 920T 19" LCD 1000:1 Contrast Ratio. You could really go either way. The Hyundai is extremely fast, with well above average contrast ratio, or you can go for the best color quality in the Samsung, but it's only 25ms response, so you may see a bit of ghosting in games. I know for a fact the Hyundai monitor will work in Europe. The Samsung doesn't say, but it seems to me that LCD power supplies just about all work with 100-240 AC power. I don't think it's an issue for you. But you may want to check out a manufacturer's website before you go placing any orders.

You should probably price your hardware in the UK and see if it would save money to have someone order it from NewEgg in the US and then ship it to you. I hear hardware prices in the UK are awful, despite the poor US dollar value.

May 11, 2005 at 7:17 AM Post #22 of 78
you most certainly do have the skills to build yourself. i consider constructing a piece of IKEA furniture about 2x-3x as hard as "building" a desktop
blink.gif
wink.gif

May 11, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #24 of 78
ps:

A64 venice or san diego is certainly the ticket

have mercy on my delicate digestion and don't give your money to alienware etc.; it's a massive waste.

i have xp90 and yes it's excellent. i use sanyo denki 92mm fan and it's very nice (google it-sidewinder computers) NOTE: you can't use an 80mm fan with the xp90, not unless you have some special clips or funky way to attatch it-and why would you? 92mm will blow more air. i highly reccommend the sanyo denki. my mobo has a feature that i have set that the cpu fan won't come to full speed unless it gets to 50C, it's not cool n quiet, just a dfi mobo feature.

my setup:
dfi ut 250gb socket 754 mobo
xp90
athlon64 3200+ newcastle
512mb kingston pc3200
samsung 160gb hdd (if you want quiet, this is excellent-mine has the nidec motor)

but i'm actually going to sell my entire rig soon. i have a notion dual-core is coming soon and will change things dramaticallly. my wife is getting a free PIII pc from her work (cu-boulder) that i can use for web surfing etc., and to tell the truth; i'm deadly tired of video games
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif
anyone else feel that way??
eek.gif

May 11, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #25 of 78
one question that must be posed is: how quiet do you want it? (i mean we're audiophiles first here, eh???? maybe??)

if you want quiet, you need to make some sacrifices.

my quiet gaming rig (short of watercooling which could be a good option) would be:

1. xp120 w/120mm nexus or yate-loon fan, undervolted all the way
2. one exhaust fan: 120mm nexus as well
3. hdd: samsung w/nidec motor (make SURE you get the nidec motor, not the jvc-i got my hdd from newegg)
4. psu: seasonic super silencer or super tornado (400w is fine if you're not overclocking)
5. vid card: either gigabyte's passive 6600gt (a good option), or get a zalman heatpipe setup

you won't want to overclock much if at all, but if you don't want to oc you can get a cheaper mobo and ram (not that i'm trying to stear you away from oc'ing! it's a great way to get massive value out of your gear; try ocforums.com)

May 11, 2005 at 7:35 AM Post #26 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I don't have the skills to build it myself. I was wondering if there are any headfiers who are also into PC's would be interested in building me this system. Is it possible to get a dual core motherboard equip it with only one processor and then at a later date add the other one? AFAIK in the UK we only have the option of AMD 4000+ or FX55 but I don't think it's dual core. I think twin FX55 is a bit overkill for my needs, not to mention expensive.

I don't really have a budget as such But I would prefer it to cost less than $3500

Can you point me to any high end US based manufacturers so I can get some idea of what I might be able to achieve with my budget?

ps: i'd build a pc for you and ship it if you like. would charge a bit for services, but a pittance. i suppose the best way for someone to ship you a desktop would be in the box the case came in. still i'd be nervous. maybe put that box in another box with popcorn....
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #27 of 78
Basically I'd suggest the same system/cost as JWFokker laid out before I came back to Headfi this morning. A few tweaks here and there (I prefer the DFI board myself for example, and would likely exchange the WD drive for a Seagate one), but more or less he read my mind. Venice is the way to go, so far ours have shown decent returns on air cooling. One is going under sub zero cooling today or tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. Saves some money, and ends up faster than the fastest available. Venice compatible boards also ensures Dual Core compatible later. I'd probably also use two sound cards, one Audigy for gaming and a cheap Chaintech for audio.

For monitor, I'd really suggest a Dell LCD, as much as it pains me to say so. They really are the best deals around. You should be able to pull together some rebates... what country are you in exactly? The 20" widescreen Dell is quite nice. I'm somewhat impatiently waiting for the 24" one...

Anyways, setup similarly to the Newegg one in my store in Canada it comes to ~2230 US funds, or 1200 pounds (if you are in england). Shipping parts probably costs more than shipping the completed system to be honest, but if you have a screwdriver it might be worth the extra funds just to say "I built this". Again, follow the suggestion of pricing out this system wherever you are, and see what the difference in cost is. I can make a general estimation on shipping to where you are if you provide a general address (it doesn't have to be yours, just some place near you).

May 11, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #28 of 78
For your question on which video card...

These days it depends more on which games you play, which engines they use, and who they are aligned with. ATI and nVidia now play favourites with the game producers. If you play Half Life 2 and its eventual derivatives, ATI is the best FPS (not that nVidia is a slouch). The opposite holds true for Doom3. I expect these types of shenanigans to continue indefinetely...

May 11, 2005 at 2:55 PM Post #29 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by DMOS
For your question on which video card...

These days it depends more on which games you play, which engines they use, and who they are aligned with. ATI and nVidia now play favourites with the game producers. If you play Half Life 2 and its eventual derivatives, ATI is the best FPS (not that nVidia is a slouch). The opposite holds true for Doom3. I expect these types of shenanigans to continue indefinetely...

corrrect me if i'm wrong but my understanding was that the 6600gt and 6800gt have enough headroom over their ati competition to be unilaterally the winning choice? ESPECIALLY when overclocked as i believe they do so much better than their ati counterparts.

but; you make an interesting point.

ps: i also think it's nice if you build it yourself as it will acquaint you with your pc.

May 11, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #30 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
WEll, alienware is hella expensive, but they do have a good support plan...

Support plan?
confused.gif
what support plan? most of their desktops are shipped without HDD screws...wires flailing about...DOA laptops and desktops.

Listen - spending that amount of money on a cheap tacky plastic case isnt my idea of a good deal. I would get a Lian Li and stuff it myself. Or I would have Falcon Northwest build me a desktop though it costs as much as a small car.

DIY is the way to go...a lot more money stays with you this way
tongue.gif

gs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back