All-in-One DAC/AMP with smooth/warm sound signature
Mar 1, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #16 of 20
This is some solid advice. I will definitly experiment more with the JVC in the chain. Perhaps a different set of headphones will be a better fit and lower the noise floor considerably? You mention AKG's. I'll see if I can pick up a used pair. That's always a risk-free way to try stuff out.
The Sennheiser HD580s are 300 ohms, which is a great match for vintage amps, so I do not think the noise floor you're experiencing is due to the headphones. Any high impedance headphone 250 ohms and up, should sound great out of your JVC assuming the amp is working correctly and is connected correctly.

It could be that the JVC needs to be serviced, or perhaps how you're connecting your source to the JVC. Make sure you're running into the JVC in the AUX inputs in the rear, as opposed to the TURNTABLE inputs as they are not grounded , which will result in lots of noise.

Mar 1, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #17 of 20
Yep, I use AUX/Tuner inputs exclusively. Alright, so good to know it's not a headphone mismatch sort of thing.

My dad bought it new in/around 1977 and the only "service" it has seen since then was some contactspray and compressed air.
So yeah, you're probably right. I'll see if I can get a cost estimate from the local Hifi shop. Thanks again for the input @Monsterzero !

Mar 5, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #19 of 20
Another thing you can do is try and find a used vintage R2R DAC and feed that directly into your JVC. I had an old EAD DSP Mk lll that was incredibly warm and had more bass than any two systems need. The only downside to vintage R2R DACs is they are typically limited to 16/44.1

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a secondhand HD-DAC1 anyway.

It's seems you were right on the money @Monsterzero
For my taste it was probably enough to hunt down a descent DAC and feed it into the JVC...

After many hours of switching back in forth in configuration, I've come to the conclusion that the Marantz is a truly outstanding DAC with a very plain head-amp section. It just doesn't come close to the warmth and liveliness the vintage receiver is giving me.

But I'm not complaining! It sound absolutely marvelous in this configuration: PC -> HD-DAC1 -> JVC JA-S31 -> HD580's
(Schiit Loki EQ in the JVC's tape loop, should I need a small correction in the bass department)

Anyway, who knows, I might pick up a Audio-GD or R2R DAC in the future, but for now I'm pretty damn satisfied!
I will probably start saving up to have the JVC serviced first.

Thanks again for all the input people! Much appreciated!

Attachments

• 20230305_222145.jpg
    20230305_222145.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #20 of 20
Well, I bit the bullet and bought a secondhand HD-DAC1 anyway.

It's seems you were right on the money @Monsterzero
For my taste it was probably enough to hunt down a descent DAC and feed it into the JVC...

After many hours of switching back in forth in configuration, I've come to the conclusion that the Marantz is a truly outstanding DAC with a very plain head-amp section. It just doesn't come close to the warmth and liveliness the vintage receiver is giving me.

But I'm not complaining! It sound absolutely marvelous in this configuration: PC -> HD-DAC1 -> JVC JA-S31 -> HD580's
(Schiit Loki EQ in the JVC's tape loop, should I need a small correction in the bass department)

Anyway, who knows, I might pick up a Audio-GD or R2R DAC in the future, but for now I'm pretty damn satisfied!
I will probably start saving up to have the JVC serviced first.

Thanks again for all the input people! Much appreciated!
Glad to help! You may want to post some photos over in the vintage receiver thread. I'm sure the boys over there would enjoy seeing your JVC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back