All IEMs stolen :(, need reccomendations for a new pair.
Dec 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

theguatemalian

Head-Fier
So 2 days ago my house was broken into and all the electronics stuff was taken 
frown.gif
. So after spending savings and replacing the necessary things and installing the necessary security measures, I have a few hundred bucks leftover I would like to spend it all but I have around $400-500 left, and to top things off my xmas gift is a portable amp, so I'd like to know what you guys recommend in that price range.

I like a middle ground between cold analytical sound and a warm sound, good bass extension but nothing overwhelming or too boomy, and treble thats detailed but not piercing.

I like, genres with with bass like metal and electronic music, but I enjoy being able to hear the seperation in the bass notes and in the treble notes so something that can keep up with fast music.

I had a pair of Ety ER4S and I loved the seperation analysis and speed, but the music needed body it was a little too lifeless, I was hoping the amp would fix it but now I want to try a new flavor of IEM.

(Also I ask because in my country there are no places to tryout IEms so I buy by recommendations and reviews.) 

Thanks guys!

Dec 23, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 12
The ACS T15s are like Etymotics with a body (Leads to improved texture and impact, but you know that)...  Treble somewhat lacks separation though, but isn't piercing (is highly detailed though and clear when unsmeared).  They are the closest to Ety-mids as you'll get as well.  $215MSRP.

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 12
Try the UE triple.fi 10s. They seem to have a "middle ground between cold analytical sound and a warm sound, good bass extension but nothing overwhelming or too boomy, and treble thats detailed but not piercing." 

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Try the UE triple.fi 10s. They seem to have a "middle ground between cold analytical sound and a warm sound, good bass extension but nothing overwhelming or too boomy, and treble thats detailed but not piercing." 

Isn't the TF10 known for a nice deep V-sig?  I haven't heard them, so I'm asking :p

Dec 24, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 12
I'm not so sure, but they do seem to have really detailed and smooth highs and hard hitting while very deep lows and some say they have "recessed mids", but I personally don't find it that much of a problem. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #11 of 12
if you have a portaple amp , maybe RE-262 ?

The amp helps it shine , and at 150$ it seems the best bang-for-buck from every iem that has been proposed here

just my 2 cents

Dec 24, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #12 of 12
Sorry to hear about your losses :/

Westone 4 might be worth a consideration if you could get a good coupon % off from earphonesolutions. I came up from the ER-4S vein myself, and I found my self really loving the W4s (enough so that I ended up buying 2 of them lol).

Cold neutral/slight warmish, detailed but not overwhelming bass. Great separation and amazing soundstage. Lots of reviews on it here. Only con is imo is that you got to get a good fit as it's a much shallower fitting IEM than the ER-4S - getting a bad fit changes its sound a lot.

I suspect a lot of people that hate the W4 fall in the 3 categories:
1) they don't like the sound signature (can't do anything about that)
2) they don't think the W4 is worth the cost (it's newish and expensive but... it's a flagship universal from a solid company - you get what you pay for)
3) they had an improper seal/fit and didn't hear the damn thing right. It takes a while to for each individual to figure out which tip fits/sounds best (just take a look at the appreciation thread and you'll see 10 different "blah blah blah is the best tip for the W4" comments)

Anyway, the W4 will definitely give you more volume while retaining a similar-ish neutrality to what the ER4 presented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back