ALL HEADPHONES SUCK!!
Sep 28, 2007 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

Bluetick

100+ Head-Fier
This is not an attempt to troll, these were the words of a close friend. He has been in the recording industry for many years and he definately has golden ears. I trust his opinion on many things audio and he has helped me progress to where I am today.

These were his exact comments after listening to my new Grado 1K's driven by a wonderful 12sn7 based amp on a Sota Sapphire with a Benz 'stage. I think it sounds like heaven, but he thinks all headphones screw up the music in an attempt to replicate a larger acoustic space. He goes on to say that headphones are a "must have" in the industry, but if he had his choice, he'd never strap on a pair let alone pay good money for them. Needless to say, it (was the only time he) offended me.

It made me wonder....do you have headphones because you have to have them (because of the nature of your living environment/lifestyle) or do you prefer them to speakers?

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by zkn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well it DOES all come down to untreated rooms or overtreated roommates

That's funny!
orphsmile.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 70
headphones in many instances give better sound to full size systems because its much easier to tune and get the right sound inside the small space that is the gap from the phones to your eardrum

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #5 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluetick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he thinks all headphones screw up the music in an attempt to replicate a larger acoustic space.

ALL headphones? Some certainly do, I'll give him that. Still, I think you've been trolled.

He's got to take out his frustration with the industry on someone after all.

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 70
So he have heard them ALL! From the iBud to the SR-007...
In that case he should consider himself very lucky.
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 70
from all headphone that I've heard all had many flaws ( haven't heard a lot of them thou ) - none where near to sound perfect or close to neutral/natural - nearest where K701 but tillted towards HF

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #8 of 70
Good headphones can not compete with good speakers but on the same token headphones give an intimate experience with the music that speakers can not achieve.

I think my speaker rig is decent, I have top of the line Aperion set up with a HSU VTF-3 MK3 sub driven by a Denon AVR-3801. No headphone rig I have ever heard can compete with how big and full everything sounds through this.

Listening to headphones I can go as loud as I want, it costs far less to adjust my rig to my tastes and the intimate experience is again unique to headphone listening. When you think about a portable rig with customs, decent source, good cable and a nice amp that can fit in a pocket, cost under $2k and sounds so far beyond many modest speaker systems, that is one hell of a strong point!

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #9 of 70
Apples to oranges to me. I would rather have a great home setup for "large" listening, but the constraints of today's world (family at home is a big one, neighbors is another) prevent me from really going crazy with my PSBs, etc. So I use headphones to make due. I don't have high end headphone gear, but it's good enough. Guess that says I'd rather hear the music fill the room.

If you had a choice, seeing great live music, albeit amplified, and listening through the sound system or headphones, which would you choose? Me, I'd rather not have headphones on.

But with digital music and moving about, headphones are really becoming ubiquitous, for better or worse. I like having them as an option, but I won't be spending 3k on a setup any time soon. Just my preference, I guess.

But I can see your friend's point, sort of. Probably just being overdramatic. Show people are like that.

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 70
Speakers are not suitible unless you have a nice room to put them in. Yes even moderate speakers sound better than the most crazy headphones... but only with an awsome room - which most people can't have.

I currently have a mid range speaker rig hooked up in a very weird room with an insanly high cealing with stange curve and a big double bed in the middle of the room. That room has the best acustic ever and even with only a 35yr old 30W chip amp and simlar vintage mission speakers it blows away any headphone rig I have ever heard.

a room (asin new house purchase) is far bigger cost than any headphone rig
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 70
The only time music is even worth listening to is if you're in the recording studio as its being recorded. I mean, other than that, why even bother, right? Eliminate the speaker vs headphone debate all together.

In all seriousness, there is something about an intimate gathering, or a one on one with an artist that neither headphones nor speakers can replicate. I've been fortunate enough to experience this a few times in my life, with a few artists I admire and respect, and no matter how good the equipment, nothing will come close to the sound I heard.

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 70
I agree with Wakeride

Although a fullsize room with speakers may sound 'better,' there is something to be said about the intimate experience you get with the music. IMHO, in the room setting you are always part of an audience. However, headphones can have that magical ability to have you right up on stage with the musicians, or standing right next to them, playing just for you.
Depends on what you like I guess.

edit: and luckypictures, your experience trumps all of that too
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #13 of 70
I actually prefer headphones for a reason that was already stated, intimacy. It really is a different experience than my speaker setup. Lower cost and portability help too.

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #14 of 70
There is no such thing as people with golden ears, just "snobs" that think they have them.

Unless there is some kind of defect or damage (genetic, sound pollution, loud noises, age/time, etc.), we all pretty much here the same (ie. the differences are so small, that it's negligible).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back