All Grado Models And Difference In Brightness
Feb 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kitarist

100+ Head-Fier
So i heard that some models of grado arent that bright as other models.
Can someone please explain to me which are the most bright and those who arent.

I heard that 225 is the grado that isnt so bright at all while 325i gets back to its brighntess again is that true?

Thanks!!!

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i heard that some models of grado arent that bright as other models.
Can someone please explain to me which are the most bright and those who arent.

I heard that 225 is the grado that isnt so bright at all while 325i gets back to its brighntess again is that true?

Thanks!!!

Yes... the SR225s are the "sweet spot" of their line-up - a huge value, which sounds almost identical to the RS-1s... especially if you buy them at a discount, which you can, if you shop carefully. The SR325is are "ear piercing" - though, I suppose you could temper their highs with the techniques below and the right set up.

The highs of any of them can be significantly tempered, with the right source / amp, which provides low impedance and high current output.

Also... if you reverse the bowl pads, or wrap the outer edge with tape (tape mod) - the highs will be tempered a bit. Any of the "flat pads" reduce the soundstage and muddy the bass - though, they do temper the highs a bit.

As well... the Alessandro versions reportedly offer tempered highs - but, you can't buy them at a discount.

And... they seem to mellow with age / burn in.

For my money... the SR-225's are the "bargain of the bunch."

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by 03029174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only tried two Grado's, the RS-1s and the PS-1s. I found the RS-1s alittle bright and went for the PS-1's. Because it has so much emphesis on the lower end and the bass it doesn't sound so bright to me.

You make it sound like they were the same price? Also the 225 really misses that warm relaxed feeling that can make the RS-1 shine so much with acoustic and latin music.

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by 03029174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only tried two Grado's, the RS-1s and the PS-1s. I found the RS-1s alittle bright and went for the PS-1's. Because it has so much emphesis on the lower end and the bass it doesn't sound so bright to me.

I would have gone for the PS-1s too, but I was 2000 dollars short, so I went for the RS-1s instead. Pity
atsmile.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 8
People here agree that the 225 is indeed the sweet spot of the Grado line. If you want to see whether or not the Grado sound is for you I would get the 225.
Also I tried ^vvanrij's woodied 325i and from all the reading here on head-fi I would have imagined they would be a lot brighter. It is always best to hear for yourself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 8, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 8
For every thruth on head-fi, there are atleast 5 lies to compensate.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back