All future versions of Android (3.1+) will now natively support FLAC playback
May 11, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 7
Fantastic news, glad I waited for Google I/O and didn´t buy an iPad... Now there´s just one big question remaining: will Google Music Beta support FLAC? Anyone in the US with an invite who might be able to try it out?

May 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Fantastic news, glad I waited for Google I/O and didn´t buy an iPad... Now there´s just one big question remaining: will Google Music Beta support FLAC? Anyone in the US with an invite who might be able to try it out?

Yes, you can upload your FLAC to them, but they will transcode it automatically to 320 MP3. It makes sense because the technology isn't there yet to stream FLAC. The only downside is you will still have to locally backup your original FLAC files since they won't be stored losslessly in the cloud.

May 11, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Yes, you can upload your FLAC to them, but they will transcode it automatically to 320 MP3. It makes sense because the technology isn't there yet to stream FLAC. The only downside is you will still have to locally backup your original FLAC files since they won't be stored losslessly in the cloud.

Well, it makes sense that they won't store the whole file on their servers if it's impossible to use it there.  No need to use up extra space when it's not needed.  It would be kind of ridiculous streaming lossless files anyway, even 320kbps is a stretch. :p

May 11, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 7
That´s what I was hoping for :) It would be a pain to convert all my music first... Now waiting for Google to bring the service to the EU :) Oh and those new Chromebooks look neat too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back