All encompassing 'synergy review'
Apr 21, 2007 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Morph201

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not sure if it's been done before, and I'm too lazy to look! But, would anyone be up to the challenge to post an ALL ENCOMPASSING AMP\CAN SYNERGY review? There have been TONS of amp reviews, but none that cover,specifcally, the synergy between the mainstream cans and the more popular amps. I think this would be more helpful for people trying to make amp decisions (bearing in mind that it's still subjective). I'm tired of seeing threads such as "Is the Heed better than the GS1", I understand it's not as black and white as that, and a lot has to do with how well the amp mates with the can (and sometimes DAC, and source, etc...) So for example the first installment could pick an amp such as the Heed, and give overall impressions of how it mated with Senns (600\650), AKGs (K701), and Beyers (DT880\990). The reason I'm asking is because I don't have a desire to own a gazillions amps and cans, and even if I did, it would help to cut down the time it would take for me (and others) to do a match up.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 13
Well, I also havent heard many amps but my Grado SR225 and the Gilmore Lite was actually had a decent synergy imo. It made the Grado sound more grado-ish. The soundstage was slightly smaller, the bass punch was improved, the low end bass was filled in and there was more sparkle in the treble.

This combo is for people who are satisfied with the grado sound and want more grado-ness, not for people who want to make their grado more balanced imo.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 13
I currently have the Opera\K701 combo, and from my experience the K701s are not the most efficient, even though the ohm rating is fairly low. But, after doing some research I discovered that the HD650s benefit greatly from the 'balanced' nature of the Opera. This isn't to say the Opera\K701 don't sound fine together, but it's possible the HD650 may be a better mate for that amp. It would even be helpful for the portable crowd too. If possible, it would be great for someone (and you know who you are) that has a COLLECTION of amps\cans to do an in-depth review of different combinations. Heck, I would be willing to do it, if someone would be willing volunteer their gear!

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 13
That's why I paid special attention the the history of an amp during development. What the amp maker uses during the making of the amp usually will determine the synergy factor.

For example, we all knew that Ray Samuels has a Shure E500, UE-10 and HD600 (he may have more for sure) in his household so it is to be expected that his amps will synergize best with those cans. And his little wonder which is a Hornet "M" is notoriously superb driving Senns and Shures etc. But if you pair a Grado SR325i, SR125 or SR80 or Ety ER-4S to a Hornet, you gotta have strong eardrums to survive the blistering sonic attack.

Same goes to Xin, he uses Ety and Senn so you will find a lot of those cans being used with his SM series.

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #6 of 13
Synergystic combos in my experience:

Singlepower PPX3 - JVC DX1000
ASL MG Head OTL mk III - Beyer DT880
Meier HA-2 mkII/SE - Darth Beyers
Meier Opera - Beyer DT990, Denon D5000 (and really every headphone I have ever plugged into it, to the extent I liked that headphone)

Apr 21, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 13
i assure you, if i ever post a review on headfi, it will be on a full system. that makes a review just that much more relevant.

also i agree that the gilmore lite makes the grados even more "grado-y", which is why i am interested in getting my hands on a dynahi/dynamite. the only reason grados need an amp is for truly great bass impact and more fleshed out mids. a powerful amp makes them great hiphop/breakbeat cans.

np: Yes - Starship Trooper

Apr 21, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by afireinside /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What else has good synergy with Grados aside from the Gilmore lite?

Sacdmods 555es > MPX3 or PPX3 SLAM > MS2i

Sacdmods 9100es > Singlepower Extreme > MS2i

Users who are viewing this thread

Back