All DAC's sound the same.
Jun 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #271 of 373

Apparently if some minority of the population has weakened senses they need the rest of the populations support in order to feel normal.  Fact is the majority of the populations senses are fully intact, which affords us the ability to discern differences in all of our senses.

I think a support group is in order for the hearing impaired.

This thread is really a cry for help and acceptance.  I kinda feel sorry for our hearing impaired friends.

Bigshot et.al, I'm sorry for rubbing my hearing ability in your face.  It must be awful not to be able to hear like you used too.

Quote:
I drive a Honda Civic, I drove my uncle's Lexus for a week while he was out of town. I didn't really notice a difference in how they both drive, therefore I conclude all cars drive the same. I bet none of you will be able to tell the difference between a Ferrari and my Civic.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #272 of 373
That is probably the dumbest post on here. What an invalid statement. A Lexus is a glorified Toyota. Same car with a few luxury bits. If you have ever sat in anything with more than 300 horsepower that wasn't a bus you know that comparing a Ferrari to a Civic is lunacy. 

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #273 of 373
I drive a Honda Civic, I drove my uncle's Lexus for a week while he was out of town. I didn't really notice a difference in how they both drive, therefore I conclude all cars drive the same.

it isn't a valid comparison unless you do a blind driving test.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #274 of 373
Quote:
I drive a Honda Civic, I drove my uncle's Lexus for a week while he was out of town. I didn't really notice a difference in how they both drive, therefore I conclude all cars drive the same. I bet none of you will be able to tell the difference between a Ferrari and my Civic.

Jun 30, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #279 of 373
Oh dear, I didn't think anyone was going to take my car analogy seriously.

EDIT: The point I was trying to demonstrate was that there really is no point in arguing what a DAC does or doesn't do, or what a $500 DAC does vs a $50 DAC. The op's statement is invalid simply because the logic is flawed. A $100 DAC that sounds the same as onboard does not mean that a $200 DAC will also sound the same. You can't even conclude that another $100 DAC will sound the same.

Jun 30, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #281 of 373
Quote:
Oh dear, I didn't think anyone was going to take my car analogy seriously.

Sorry then.  I've seen people advance that kind of stuff seriously.  I guess I'm too jaded...

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #283 of 373

Quote:
That is probably the dumbest post on here. What an invalid statement. A Lexus is a glorified Toyota. Same car with a few luxury bits. If you have ever sat in anything with more than 300 horsepower that wasn't a bus you know that comparing a Ferrari to a Civic is lunacy. 

Actually there are about a thousand ways you can measure differences between an ES350 and a Camry V6 (assuming you were referring to those cars since there is no Toyota equivalent to the LS, GS, IS, or CT- at least in the States.  Everything from horsepower, to weight (including ratio to hp), to NVH, to actual on-road performance numbers can be measured.

BTW, I can run the mile in under three minutes.  Anyone who says I can't must be crippled or otherwise handicapped.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #285 of 373
I dont want to get too into this discussion, but one thing that may be overlooked here, is the amp. if your amp is low end and you are testing a high end dac, it will still sound low end. If the amp cant reproduce all the detail, transparency, clarity, etc that the dac is sending it, this whole discussion is for nothing. One example from our last meet, we hooked up a Liquid fire and my BA both to my dac. The BA had better transparency, clarity, and detail retrieval than the liquid fire. The Liquid fire wasnt able to produce all the info it was being given. If both amps were put on a midfi dac, I am sure they would have sounded pretty much the same. Putting the liquid fire up to a high end front end  wasnt going to produce enough difference to make the dac different from a midfi dac because it isnt able to handle the extra info. The BA was able to scale up and handle this additional info so it will be able to show the differences of the dac. This is just food for thought on other reasons why dacs may all sound the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back