All-black 1st-generation Grado SR 325s?
Jan 23, 2009 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

orkney

Headphoneus Supremus
I just picked up a pair of these all-black 1st-generation SR325s from a fellow headfier and I'm interested in hearing more about them since searches reveal significant disagreement about the drivers used, etc. These have the same reddish-brown driver screens I'm used to from my vintage RS1s and they sound to me much closer to that phone than to more recent Grados I've auditioned/owned.

With flat pads there's no sibilance in the highs and little of the upper-mid emphasis I find in current-model RS1s. Very good bass and slightly less midrange presence than the vintage RS1 but great speed on guitars, etc. These seem like a real find and I'm curious about their history, production numbers, and so on. I understand that they have a different driver to the silver-bodied models but can the Grado historians provide any more info?

thanks and best,

o

Jan 25, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #4 of 18
Sure -- mine look exactly like this, with props to the original photographer:

rousay

rousay

rousay

best,

o

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 18
I'd be interested to see pics too. Are the cups just painted metal? Or is it an anodized* finish?

*spelled it right this time!

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #7 of 18
Jan 25, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 18
so there is such a thing? they are the first gen?

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by member1982 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so there is such a thing? they are the first gen?

Absolutely ! These were the earliest incarnation of the 325 series. (well sort of there WERE also SR-300)

The drivers are infact different from later versions with the majority of them getting the "transition" drivers. These are the "reddish", "pinkish", "blackish" ones.

I have also seen some that have what would be considered newer SR drivers in them as well. These have the now normal white driver cloth.

And finally there are some out there with the coveted HP-1000 drivers in them.

Jan 26, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #11 of 18
The drivers in my gold SR-325i are black? Are the gold ones drivers black?

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely ! These were the earliest incarnation of the 325 series. (well sort of there WERE also SR-300)

The drivers are infact different from later versions with the majority of them getting the "transition" drivers. These are the "reddish", "pinkish", "blackish" ones.

I have also seen some that have what would be considered newer SR drivers in them as well. These have the now normal white driver cloth.

And finally there are some out there with the coveted HP-1000 drivers in them.

Very helpful -- thanks! Mine appear to be the "transitional" drivers, since they're purple with reddish-brown mesh. I've been listening to them against my backup RS1s (buttons) and they seem to be more neutral, with deeper bass, smoother highs, and a bit less midrange "presence" than the woodies. Great cans and nice to own a piece of headphone history, however fleeting or insignificant.

best,

o

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what we are talking about when mentioning the pinkish drivers. This is my pair.
img_5973.jpg

That's exactly it -- thanks! I do prefer these with flats, though their sound seems to be less affected by pad changes than the RS1. Here's one more try:

gradosr325_10.jpg

gradosr325.jpg

gradosr325_1.jpg

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #15 of 18
is that the driver or just pinkish covering that they use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back