All Around Sound System
Dec 7, 2014 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

iNcontroL

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I currently own a high end computer system, primarily used for gaming. I also have a XBR65X900A mounted on my bedroom wall right next to it. I typically listen to music through my Sennheiser HD598 with Magni Amp hooked up to my Titanium HD. It sounds amazing, which unfortunately makes the speakers on my TV sound terrible. As of now I have my TV hooked up to my computer as well and typically just change my playback device to use the TV speakers when I wanna sit back and relax.

Now I've been itching to upgrade something and figured I'd upgrade my computer speakers, I currently have the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1, which I honestly haven't used in years preferring my headphones. Now I wanna upgrade to a system I can use both with my computer and my TV, I also wouldn't mind being able to lay down and listen to music from my iPod with Bluetooth. Unfortunately I'm limited by the size of my room. It's pretty small at 14 x 10 feet.

My current budget is around 500, I don't care whether it's a Home Theater in a Box, Speakers, Studio Monitors, or a Sound Bar. I just want the best sound for the size of my room.

As of now I've been pretty close to pulling the trigger on a pair of Emotiva Airmotiv 5s with Control Freak for Volume Control and the Emotiva BTM-1 so I can use my iPod Wireless. Another wall I've run into is that from what I read studio monitor's require an exact positioning, and I really don't have the space required to put them on my desk. I currently have my two 27" Monitors Mounted on one wall over my desk and the 65" mounted on the other well over my desk. The only way I can get around this is to also mount the speakers. I don't mind doing that and would buy the Emotiva ASM Brackets to do it, but now I'm not sure if I should mount them to the left and right of my computer monitors or my TV... I read they were great speakers for a desktop, but I don't know if they'll work just as well with a TV and how much position matters. I'm leaning towards mounting them on the sides of my TV because I'd use my headphones 95% of the time when gaming on my computer, so they'd probably get more use for music and watching movies, which won't really be done while sitting at the computer.

All in all, I'd like your advise on whether this would be the best route, or if there's anything better I could spend my money on sound-wise. As of now with the brackets and all the add-ons, this would run me at exactly 507 dollars, and I want to make sure I'm getting the most for my money.

Any help or opinion is really appreciated!

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 4
The Airmotiv 5S have great imaging and room filling sound. They will be great for your room. The blutetooth module I believe is only for their preamp so you do not need to buy it. Fill your computer with music than use your Ipod as a remote for your speaker system. That is what I do on my Android phone. Get a subwoofer though. Spend at least $150 just to get something. I got my sub for $265. As for mounting can you gets stands? If you mount them make sure you do so in a good position if it will be permanent. An external DAC will work better if you use different sources. 

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #3 of 4
Ah, got ya. Thanks for the letting me know about the Pre Amp requirement. I could use a stand, but with the way I have everything setup, one speaker would be on my desk and the other on a stand of equal height. This would make them fall below ear level. I'm not sure how much that would effect the listening experience with near field speakers like these.

How do you think the Paradigm Shift A2s would compare? I just found out about these and to my understanding there powered bookshelf speakers. I can get them for around the same price.

Appreciate your help!

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 4
I would bet a lot that the Emotivas are superior. They are $500 studio monitors that only recently have become $330. They compete with Adams and the like that cost twice as much. The paradigm has too many features and what not for the more average user. Judging sound quality alone I am sure the Emotivas would be better especially with the twitter which is amazing. Again they are not that nearfield. I am burning them in and I can hear the sound perfectly from another floor level. These guys image big spaces really well and they are very powerful. 

As for the stand if you can angle the speakers to ear level you should be fine. My speakers are not at ear level but are angled down towards my ears. Again the imaging is great so you will not miss much. If you get them burn them in as it gets a good amount better after some loud use. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back